Switch and record with one iMac?

Questions about ATEM Switchers, Camera Converter and everything live!
  • Author

Twitort

Switch and record with one iMac?

PostThu Sep 06, 2012 12:16 am

I am planning on purchasing an ATEM-1 for handling live video mixing/switching. I will be using an iMac to control the ATEM-1. Can I also record the component program out of the ATEM-1 on the same iMac using something like the BM Video Recorder USB interface, or is this asking too much of one iMac? The video is recorded for upload to a website. Trying not to spend too much more to get an easy, web-friendly recording solution. We don't need to stream live, just want a workflow that will yield a video file at the end of the event that we can easily upload. Ideally, the solution would allow us to record at a lower resolution since all the live switching will be 1080i and we don't need that full resolution for the web version.

joshmsmith

Re: Switch and record with one iMac?

PostThu Sep 06, 2012 5:10 am

Yes, this is possible. The ATEM control panel software actually has built-in support for capturing over a BMD capture device, and I believe it supports scaling (I know Media Express does)

The control software is a very trivial load on a system, it just sends and receives very small network commands

Return to Live Production