using macros to control Hyperdeck through ATEM

Questions about ATEM Switchers, Camera Converter and everything live!
  • Author

Morten Stensland

using macros to control Hyperdeck through ATEM

PostSat Dec 02, 2017 11:45 am

Hello

I own both a Hyperdeck Studio Mini and Television studio HD. I would like to create macros that controls Hyperdeck with these functions:
- next track
- previous track
- stop
-play

Unfortunately, when I record the macros for "next" and "previous" track, the result is a macro that goes to a specific track. In that way I can create macros that says "go to track 3", but not next or previous track. Does anybody know a way to make a atem-macro that goes to next or previous track?
www.brekkelyd.no

1v4rMH

Re: using macros to control Hyperdeck through ATEM

PostWed Sep 23, 2020 3:06 pm

Hi. Did you find any solution to this? I'd like to have something like this myself.

nonemoregrey

PostFri Nov 05, 2021 1:22 am

I'm searching for the same solution.

Dave Del Vecchio

PostSat Nov 06, 2021 10:50 am

Unfortunately, I think this may be a limitation of the way the ATEM currently interacts with the HyperDeck. At least looking at the current version of the ATEM SDK, the primary methods provided for determining which clip to play involve getting a list of available clips from the HyperDeck, then setting the current clip to play by clip ID. So there is no command in the ATEM SDK for play next clip, which probably means that it may not be easy to achieve through a macro.

I think the reason for this limitation, is that the early versions of the HyperDeck Ethernet protocol (which is how the ATEM communicates with the HyperDeck) did not have commands for "goto next clip" (or similar). Early versions of the HyperDeck protocol (that existed when HyperDeck support was added to the ATEM switchers) only had commands for "goto: clip id: {clip ID}" or "goto: timecode: {timecode}". So the ATEM SDK relies on these commands.

In more recent versions of the HyperDeck Ethernet protocol, they did add a "goto: clip id: +{n}" command, which could be used to go forward n clips (so this could be used to go forward a single clip). I'm not exactly sure when this was added, but it exists in version 1.8 of the HyperDeck Ethernet protocol and later, so it would work on older HyperDecks (with the gray front bezel) running the latest firmware.

It could be that to maximize compatibility with different HyperDeck firmware versions, the ATEM is using an older subset of the Ethernet control protocol.

The takeaway from this is that while it might not be easy to configure a built-in macro to do this, it probably would be possible to do so using some external control software that uses the HyperDeck Ethernet control protocol directly. For example, it might be possible to use the ATEM and HyperDeck support in Bitfocus Companion (https://bitfocus.io/companion) to configure a button press that performs these kinds of "play next clip" actions.

Return to Live Production