ATEM Television Studi Pro HD - tally, talk and CCU on HDMI ?

Questions about ATEM Switchers, Camera Converter and everything live!
  • Author

ThomasMundrucz

ATEM Television Studi Pro HD - tally, talk and CCU on HDMI ?

PostMon Dec 04, 2017 12:14 am

HI there!

Can anyone help me with how to use the TALLY, the TALK BACK and the CCU on the BMD Television Studio Pro HD's HDMI inputs :?:

I am using BMD Studio Cameras on the SDI inputs, and there all these functions work great! When I ordered this switcher, I got the info that all 8 inputs (HDMI included) are able to use these features.

I have more than 4 cams, and I need to use all of them with TALLY, TALK BACK and CCU... but for now, only the SDI inputs work.

Another thing is that there is 8 selection buttons for cam control, but only 4 for direct talk with the cameramen... I don't know how could I communicate with all of them also sending the tally signals and CUU.

Any solutions :?:

Thomas

Denny Smith

Re: ATEM Television Studi Pro HD - tally, talk and CCU on HD

PostMon Dec 04, 2017 7:21 pm

Tally, talk and CCU control is only through the SDI outputs used to return SDI signal to the BM Studio and Ursa Mini cameras. HDMI is not supported as far as I know, this is n SDI only feature, as the return control signals are embedded in the SDI outputs to the camera’s SDI return inputs. See the Studio Camera manual for CCU control set instructions. Each camera also needs a unique camera ID number.
Cheers
Last edited by Denny Smith on Thu Sep 19, 2019 5:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Denny Smith
SHA Productions

Xtreemtec

PostMon Dec 04, 2017 7:45 pm

Denny is right.. This is a limitation of the cheapest version of the Atem series.
If you would send PGM to the cameras running to the HDMI you will probabbly still have Tally and CCU. And even audio will work i guess.. The only can't talk back to you as HDMI form factor does not have CH 15 & 16. And the Atem is not equiped to handle it.

If you need more you would need a Atem Talkback converter or a bigger mixer like the 2ME mixers that have Talkback build in too..
Daniel Wittenaar .:: Xtreemtec Media Productions ::. -= www.xtreemtec.nl =-
4K OBV Trailer, ATEM TVS HD, 4M/E Broadcast Studio 4K, Constelation 8K, Hyperdeck Studio 12G, Ursa Broadcast 4K, 4K fiber converters with Sony Control

Gary Adams

Blackmagic Design

PostMon Dec 04, 2017 8:43 pm

Just to clarify a few things. The Television Studio Pro HD directly supports 4 cameras with CCU, Tally and Talkback built into the unit as there are 4 SDI program returns that may be used to send to our cameras. If you have more than 4 cameras, there are several options to consider. If you only need Tally and CCU, simply put an SDI Distribution amplifier on one of the Program SDI outputs and feed the SDI input to the cameras. You should be able to control up to 8 cameras this way directly with the ATEM. The Talkback is a little different. The ATEM directly supports up to 4 cameras for Talkback. If you need more than 4, then you must use the Talkback Convterter for "ALL" cameras and not use the built in Talkback of the ATEM. Using the Talkback Converter for all cameras will also allow Tally and CCU. The important thing to note is you cannot mix Talkback from the ATEM with the Talkback Conveter. Only one or the other will work.

Regards, Gary
Gary Adams
Blackmagic Design

ThomasMundrucz

PostMon Dec 04, 2017 11:13 pm

Hi there!

Thanks for the answers. I do have the 2ME 20channel 4K unit as well. I also use the talk back converters. However when I bought the TV Studio Pro HD the dream was that this would be a great compact festival switcher up to 8 cameras in a stand alone setup.

Sometimes I just don't understand the way BMD guys think. On the 4k 2ME 20Chanel there is 19 SDI input and only one HDMI... Which makes it a bit difficult to use, since there are always more than one HDMI input needs for computers... Than comes the very nice, very compact TV Production PRO HD switcher with 8 inputs. But the 4 SDI is assigned to channel 5678... and the 4 HDMI to 1234... This drives me crazy!

Sometimes I feel that there should be (more) communication between the development and designer guys at BMD and those millions on the fields using the products. If anyone would have asked me I could have told them, that if they want to harvest the market, they should have simply put SDI to 123456 channels and the HDIMs to 78 channels. Bumm! This wins! Now this TV Production Pro HD is again a half solution... It is the same story like to come out with a great compact studio cam that has M4/3" mount on them, when the whole business is packed with B4 mount lenses... :( It took me a year to solve the M4/3" vs B4 misery on all my 7 BMD StudioCams. Now i use Canon and Fujinon B4s on them, even huge box lenses. It gave me some grey hairs to complete this.

However I am still testing the HDMI inputs on my new TV Production PRO HDs, and seem to be able to get some results, in using all 8 inputs. Yes I am distributing the SDI out and sending them back to the cams. I promise, if I come up with any results will post it here.

Still a BMD believer and user:

Thomas Mundrucz
Visual Effect Ltd
Hungary

ThomasMundrucz

PostTue Dec 05, 2017 7:12 pm

Hi there!

As I promised I have tested the TV Studio Pro HD's HDMI inputs as for TALLY, CCU, TALKBACK.
My results are after distributing the SDI PROGRAM output back to all camera's SDI inputs which were connected to the HDMI inputs:

1) TALLY works
2) CCU Works
3) TALKBACK works BUT only one way from the mixer to the camera. Which is good enough.

This way I can get 8 BMD StudioCams hooked up, out of which 4 works perfect on SDI, and 4 works OK with everything functioning expect the talkback form the CameraMan to the Director, but still he can hear the director.

One important thing. It is important what type of SDI distributor is used in distributing the program out back to the cameras. The more sophisticated the unit is, the less chance that it works. The higher class distributers generate a signal loss in the camera inputs, which results reseting the cameras settings. So the simplest, cheapest distributor works the best in this case. (BMDs and AJAs dropped the signal, the cheap Chinese ones do the job perfectly)

Thomas

Denny Smith

PostTue Dec 05, 2017 9:14 pm

Deleted
Denny Smith
SHA Productions

ThomasMundrucz

PostSat Dec 23, 2017 11:47 pm

rafibaby

PostThu Sep 19, 2019 4:24 pm

I have an ATEM studio 4k with 8 SDI ins and outs. I also have 2 BM studio 4k cameras that send video to the switcher via Cinegears wireless SDI TX/RX. Can I use another pair of Cinegears wireless SDI TX and RX to send the return tally, talkback, and CCU signals (channels 15 & 16) to the cameras?

Xtreemtec

PostThu Sep 19, 2019 6:13 pm

rafibaby wrote:I have an ATEM studio 4k with 8 SDI ins and outs. I also have 2 BM studio 4k cameras that send video to the switcher via Cinegears wireless SDI TX/RX. Can I use another pair of Cinegears wireless SDI TX and RX to send the return tally, talkback, and CCU signals (channels 15 & 16) to the cameras?

First of all.. Please have your own topic instead of replaying to a very old topic!!

And no it wont work! The video transmitters don't carry ANC data and only 2 channels audio instead of 16 channels.
There is not really a good solution for remote CCU and Tally out there.
Talkback i would go for a wireless intercom system that is fully separated from the camera setup.

We are working on a wireless CCU + Tally solution. But you already posted in that topic 3 weeks ago. ;) No news yet there.. Will be in a week or 2. :)
Daniel Wittenaar .:: Xtreemtec Media Productions ::. -= www.xtreemtec.nl =-
4K OBV Trailer, ATEM TVS HD, 4M/E Broadcast Studio 4K, Constelation 8K, Hyperdeck Studio 12G, Ursa Broadcast 4K, 4K fiber converters with Sony Control

Return to Live Production