Will BMD release a IP based video switcher?

Questions about ATEM Switchers, Camera Converter and everything live!
  • Author

Brian Gulliver

Will BMD release a IP based video switcher?

PostWed Dec 13, 2017 9:27 pm

Will BMD release a IP based video switcher? SMPTE ST 2110? This article predicts there will be an influx of IP based switchers at NAB 2018 http://www.tvtechnology.com/expertise/0003/challenges-remain-for-live-ip-production/282414

http://www.tvtechnology.com/resources/0006/smpte-st-211010-a-base-to-build-on/282238

Xtreemtec

Re: Will BMD release a IP based video switcher?

PostThu Dec 14, 2017 2:38 pm

I won't count on it in the near future.. BMD is heavily invested in the SDI market. Also SDI is still cheap and "simple" for most novice users.

There Tico IP unit is the first SDI over IP product and who knows what will come.. But the cost of conversion to IP from every cam to the cost of SDI straight or by fiber to the Atem is still cheaper.

Also TICO and NDI are 2 different approaches.. And while Vmix, Wirecast, and all computer software based products go the NDI route.. BMD goes the TICO route which is not wide spread supported..

So i think we will see some more in 2 or 3 years.. But heavily depends on what the market will shift too.. And also what camera manufacturers will do.. If a lot of camera manufacturers keep it with SDI i think IP will not pick up in the upcoming 2 to 3 years.. ;)

While IP has some advantages over SDI. I mean see Greg from Mamba fiber with it's Dante Audio network. He can drop in a microphone or whatever somewere in his IP setup.. And always comes in on the same inputs on the Audio mixer.. Which is rather cool!! :D

Wait and see..
Daniel Wittenaar .:: Xtreemtec Media Productions ::. -= www.xtreemtec.nl =-
4K OBV, ATEM TVS HD, Production Studio 4K, 2M/E Broadcast Studio 4K, Hyperdeck Studio, SONY FS7 4K, JVC HM700 Full HD Camera

Return to Live Production