Television Studio HD

Questions about ATEM Switchers, Camera Converter and everything live!
  • Author

Johannes Hinterberger

Television Studio HD

PostTue Jan 02, 2018 7:21 am

Hello Community!

In analogy to Presonus Studio 192 and it's features in processing and providing digital audio on Mac in different channels/buses, I need a device which is able to provide me video from several sources (SDI/HDMI). It seems to be that Television Studio HD is able to provide different inputs and also - next to two different types of program-outputs - a multi view output. Genius for me, when I'll doing live sessions outside/on the way. Especially in combination with the BM Web Presenter, I bought last month.

Now to my question: Am I able to add every single video-channel from Television Studio HD into a live production software like mimoLive with/threw USB 3.0?... So without any additional video capturing card? This feature would be the peak of my wet dreams ;)

When this is possible, the Television Studio HD will go onto my shopping list today.

Thx for advices/suggestions/replies in advance, Happy new year!

Regards,
JoPhi

Denny Smith

Re: Television Studio HD

PostTue Jan 02, 2018 7:23 am

Do not think so, the USB connection is for firmware updates and running ATEM software to control the ATEM.
Denny Smith
SHA Productions

Johannes Hinterberger

PostTue Jan 02, 2018 7:45 am

hmmm... thx for your reply.

So, ATEM Television Studio HD is "simply" a stand alone video mixer. Is there any BM device available that can mix stand alone and got the capability of being a digital live capturing device/"matrix" video mixer?

Johannes Hinterberger

PostTue Jan 02, 2018 9:52 am

Ok. Maybe this is unconventional, but I decided to buy some Ultra Studio Mini Recorders additionally. So when I'm on the way I can easily mix with ATEM Television Studio HD and at the studio I'll connect 3 or 4 recorders to the Mac Pro threw thunderbolt. I compared also an external boxed solution (DeckLink-card), but this seems more expensive and not so flexible with the total amount of plugs...

Xtreemtec

PostTue Jan 02, 2018 10:45 am

Johannes Hinterberger wrote:hmmm... thx for your reply.

So, ATEM Television Studio HD is "simply" a stand alone video mixer. Is there any BM device available that can mix stand alone and got the capability of being a digital live capturing device/"matrix" video mixer?

See Point 1.01 Frequently Asked Questions - Atem Mixer ;)
Yes you can use the Ultra Studio mini converters. By head the techincal limit was maximum 3. Also keep in mind the Ultra studio mini series capture devices only allow up to 1080i50/60. They can't handle 1080P50/60!
Daniel Wittenaar .:: Xtreemtec Media Productions ::. -= www.xtreemtec.nl =-
4K OBV, ATEM TVS HD, Production Studio 4K, 2M/E Broadcast Studio 4K, Hyperdeck Studio, SONY FS7 4K, JVC HM700 Full HD Camera

Johannes Hinterberger

PostTue Jan 02, 2018 12:44 pm

Thx for reply.

While research I found some people who're pretending that they use 6 Recorders for live productions with Mac pro to bring signals into their live production software (but they also say that they have troubles with recording all streams). Thx for the tip about the resolution. I'll just use it for Community TV in our Surroundings and this needs 1080i/25... I do not need all streams recorded.

So is the technical limit by BMD device driver or by Mac hardware (displaying/recording...)?

Thx,
JoPhi

Roman Pytkin Pekarek

PostTue Jan 02, 2018 3:41 pm

ATEM is Switcher .. U have multiple cameras in inputs and one output of switched video .. IF U need record multiple cameras (for example for next postproduction), U can record directly into cameras (if they have internal recording into any medium) .. Or If your ATEM have multiple AUX , u can send multiple cameras via this AUXes and send it to any recorders (standalone recorders, or computer with multiple inputs) .. TV STUDIO HD have only one AUX , so U can record only one Camera .. So last case is an MATRiX/ROUTER in between ATEM .. BMD have smartvideohub series https://www.blackmagicdesign.com/products/smartvideohub .. For $1400 U get 12in TO 12 outs .. So U can put into it for example 6 cameras to inputs .. 6 outputs send to ATEM for video switching .. And 6 outputs send to 6 recorders (for example BMD hyperdeck mini https://www.blackmagicdesign.com/produc ... studiomini ) , to record all 6 cameras ..
http://www.media-planet.sk
http://www.stonepp.tv

Xtreemtec

PostTue Jan 02, 2018 4:40 pm

@Roman, For that setup you could even run that without matrix. Just input the cameras to the recorder first and the loop trough to the mixer ;)

But i agree i would use a matrix
4K OBV, ATEM TVS HD, Production Studio 4K, 2M/E Broadcast Studio 4K, Hyperdeck Studio, SONY FS7 4K, JVC HM700 Full HD Camera

Johannes Hinterberger

PostTue Jan 02, 2018 6:50 pm

Well...
I'm looking for a way to bring in the cam signals into a broadcasting-software like OBS, mimoLIVE or wirecast. And I don't want to use DockLink-Cards for it. So I decided to (ab)use the low cost HyperDeck Mini Recorders to make the signals available... At my mac pro I have enough of thunderbolt 2 connectors for it... Now I'm looking for a way to connect 'em to my macbook pro also; threw usb-c ... my dream would be a usb-c/thunderbolt 3 to thunderbolt 2 splitter/switch/hub/dock ... but I haven't found anything useable till now.

Who knows, maybe you can recommend something.

Roman Pytkin Pekarek

PostTue Jan 02, 2018 8:08 pm

@Xtreemtec : UR right .. But Hyperdeck MINI have not loopthru .. U can use OUT , but U need operator with brain :D ..

Roman Pytkin Pekarek

PostTue Jan 02, 2018 8:13 pm

Johannes : U need all cameras into computer ? Why ? Type more about What do U want to do ..

I was tested more SW solutions .. Tricaster, Vmix, OBS, Wirecast .. Its usable , but I got any problem everytime .. I preffer HW sollution , like ATEM .. ITs cheap and very stable ..

Johannes Hinterberger

PostWed Jan 03, 2018 7:53 am

@Roman Pytkin Pekarek

Johannes : U need all cameras into computer ? Why ?

We (a team of 3, later 2 persons) do a community tv call in show, with up to 6 live guests at the studio and 4 channels for calling (with or without live-video: GSM/UMTS-Call, Skype, MimoCall). And all of this monthly live, every show a new topic. The format got - except it's show-name - no standard and everything is in movement. Currently, the format is growing and still in development. Budget is something around nothing. mimoLIVE is very flexible (also with options for show-control while broadcast) and available at the community tv station (and also for show development on my devices). And so, lots of - around the format itself - is easy to change threw the software solution. Lower thirds, managing call-ins and several ring-tones, cam-perspectives and audio-control within the studio, live-mix-minus-mixing from inside the studio threw the host… At the community broadcasting studio, 5 cams are available. All at fixed positions. mimoLive is doing the keying-stuff. For every show we're creating a dynamic and "animated" virtual studio background, which is matching the topic. For the show, the Web Presenter is (ab)used to stream the show back to Skype Callers.

For my home-studio I want to have a similar setup, so I want to use a setup with 3 cameras. Due to daisy chain my mac pro can support 3 recorders to get the signals in. Additionally I'm looking for a solution for my MacBookPro (with touchbar). But it seems to be that this allows just two recorders (maybe just 2 daisy chains possible, because of just 2 buses and because the recorder does not have a chain loop out). All for "by chance"-shows, where I cannot say in advance to what the live-broadcast will lead :D

The ATEM Television Studio HD I want to use for "shows" that I can plan exactly. Think about "Wedding"-scenarios/presentations, Workshoprecordings etc. Who knows, when I have budget, together with the HyperDeck Mini Studio, to also use it for pre-produced material and/or to handle the keying/studio-backgrounds...

3x150 Eur for the recorders are in budget. But maybe there is a better "capturing"-solution available. I can use SDI or HDMI as input for the computer and can bring all cameras to 1080p30 or 1080p25.

Thanks so much for your advice in advance,
JoPhi

Johannes Hinterberger

PostWed Jan 03, 2018 8:36 pm

Finally, I decided to use Television Studio HD, because for all the other things I can use the broadcaster's studio :D ... and threw DockLink I can upgrade everything later to do this and that.

Roman Pytkin Pekarek

PostSun Jan 07, 2018 1:01 am

What cameras do U plan to use ? If U will get cameras with record , U not need aditional recording ..

Johannes Hinterberger

PostSun Jan 07, 2018 10:55 am

Again. It's not a thing of recording... It's a thing to bring the sdi/HDMI signals into a software like mimoLIVE. 1080p/25 ;) ... so, capturing. But thx, I got now a good solution and this together with ATEM Television Studio HD.

Roman Pytkin Pekarek

PostSun Jan 07, 2018 1:14 pm

Johannes : What solution U got ?

Johannes Hinterberger

PostSun Jan 07, 2018 1:25 pm

Configuration similar to this:
(but in mimoLive)

Reg Nakoneshny

PostThu Jan 11, 2018 7:14 pm

We are attempting to accomplish the same setup. We have 2 Panasonic 4K cameras and want to use mimoLive on our iMac. The ATEM television studio HD only has a USB interface. How did you connect the ATEM to the computer to work with MimiLive without a thunderbolt connection?

Denny Smith

PostFri Jan 12, 2018 2:35 am

The AYEM connects to the computer via its network/eathernet connection. If yiu want to connect eye video program out, you need a video capture card on the computer that takes 6G SDI inputs, like a BM DeckLink card.
Cheers
Denny Smith
SHA Productions

Xtreemtec

PostSat Jan 13, 2018 10:03 am

Reg Nakoneshny wrote:We are attempting to accomplish the same setup. We have 2 Panasonic 4K cameras and want to use mimoLive on our iMac. The ATEM television studio HD only has a USB interface. How did you connect the ATEM to the computer to work with MimiLive without a thunderbolt connection?

See this>> Frequently Asked Questions - Atem Mixer > Point 1.01

Return to Live Production