Playing external videos on Atem television Studio

Questions about ATEM Switchers, Camera Converter and everything live!
  • Author

Anass Dziri

Playing external videos on Atem television Studio

PostMon Jan 08, 2018 11:47 am

Hi everybody,

I have an Atem television Studio connected to 2 cameras, and would like to connect my PC to the ATS via HDMI port, in order to play some videos stored on my PC and mix all on live. but I don't know how to setup my PC so that ATS recongnize it.

Both cameras + ATS are on 1080i

My Questions please :

1. Is it possible to connect PC as input to ATS ? if yes how ?
2. if No, is there any others alternatives to play videos on ATS?

Many Thanks for your Help
Regards

Andy Matheson

Re: Playing external videos on Atem television Studio

PostTue Jan 09, 2018 11:13 pm

If you can get the output from your PC to be the same as your cameras, i.e. 1080i, then it will work since the ATEM needs identical specs for all inputs. If you can't do this, can you switch 1 of your cameras to playback mode with your video written on to the camera media (SD card?). Then just use the camera as a player.

Thomas Seewald

PostWed Jan 10, 2018 8:59 am

It depends on the used graphics card. There are graphic cards, which can be set to ATEM-compatible resloution (In your case 1080i), but sometimes you have to search inside some "extended properties/settings" or inside manufacturers control software . Some graphic cards don't offer the 50 fps option.

If it is possible:

Don't simple clone the display, select "extended desktop", then you can set primary display to an other resolution than the secondary (e.G. Primary 1680x1050p and secondary (for ATEM) 1080i)). i made this sometimes with my Lenovo Ideacentre 180 (a netbook).

If it is not possible:
You also can use the "swiss-army-knife" Decimator MX-HX to convert HDMI to your needed resolution and framereate. The MD-HX is also helpfull in other situations (e.g. when someone comes with an action cam which will not run with ATEM). And it has also a HDMI to SDI and SDI to HDMI conversion. So having it in your toolbox would be a good idea in general...
thos-berlin - Thomas S e e w a l d

Xtreemtec

PostWed Jan 10, 2018 11:22 am

See for more information on how to configure your pc to a Atem>>
Frequently Asked Questions - Atem Mixer > Point 1.02
Daniel Wittenaar .:: Xtreemtec Media Productions ::. -= www.xtreemtec.nl =-
4K OBV Trailer, ATEM TVS HD, 4M/E Broadcast Studio 4K, Constelation 8K, Hyperdeck Studio 12G, Ursa Broadcast 4K, 4K fiber converters with Sony Control

Return to Live Production