Macbook with Micro HDMI - SDI converter

Questions about ATEM Switchers, Camera Converter and everything live!
  • Author

kevin.fredericksen

Macbook with Micro HDMI - SDI converter

PostMon Jan 08, 2018 4:03 pm

I am having trouble using a Macbook Pro with the HDMI to SDI converter. It's a simple setup; macbook HDMI > HDMI2SDI > 200 ft coax > SDI2HDMI > monitor. I've plugged a few different modles of Windows PCs into this and it works well, but I can't seem to get the Apple Macbook to work with it. I've read on other fora that there may be a difference in refresh rate between the mac (59.9 fps) vs. the PC (60 fps), but wasn't sure. Seems odd that it would work on any monitor, but not with the blackmagic converters. Thoughts?

Tony Rivera

Blackmagic Design

Re: Macbook with Micro HDMI - SDI converter

PostTue Jan 09, 2018 9:28 pm

Are you sure the monitor supports 1080p60? A good way to test this is directly connecting the source into the monitor. Also, try both HDMI cables you have and if those work, maybe the SDI cable is the issue. We do have suggested SDI cables mentioned on our support page if you aren't already using one of those.
Support: http://www.blackmagicdesign.com/support
Info: http://www.blackmagicdesign.com/company

Follow us on Instagram:
@blackmagicnewsofficial

Xtreemtec

PostWed Jan 10, 2018 11:57 am

Are on both converters the LED light steady lit? Or is 1 of them blinking?
Daniel Wittenaar .:: Xtreemtec Media Productions ::. -= www.xtreemtec.nl =-
4K OBV Trailer, ATEM TVS HD, 4M/E Broadcast Studio 4K, Constelation 8K, Hyperdeck Studio 12G, Ursa Broadcast 4K, 4K fiber converters with Sony Control

Brian Hancock

PostSat Jan 13, 2018 11:41 pm

have you tried setting to 720?

macbook will only output 60 because mac has limited the functionality of their drivers ... search the forum pretty well known issue.

AdrianEaton

PostSun Jan 14, 2018 12:59 pm

If you are using a native HDMI port on the MacBook Pro (Rather than a display port adapter) then it is likely that the MacBook is also encrypting the output using HDCP (HDMI copy protection).

Unfortunately this copy protection prevents the conversion to SDI. PCs generally don't enable HDCP on the HDMI ports, and as such don't have the problem.

Harry Parker

PostSun Jan 14, 2018 11:59 pm

AdrianEaton wrote:If you are using a native HDMI port on the MacBook Pro (Rather than a display port adapter) then it is likely that the MacBook is also encrypting the output using HDCP (HDMI copy protection).

Unfortunately this copy protection prevents the conversion to SDI. PCs generally don't enable HDCP on the HDMI ports, and as such don't have the problem.

I think Adrian is on the money with this. HDCP is the bane of all of all professional users.

AdrianEaton

PostTue Jan 16, 2018 6:27 pm

I use a Mini DisplayPort to DVI adapter, and then use the BlackMagic DVI extender to SDI. The DVI signal doesn't have HDCP, and will therefor be able to be converted back from SDI to HDMI for the TV.

The Mini Display port adapter will work with MacBooks that have Thunderbolt 2.

Return to Live Production