Do I Need The TalkBack Converter?

Questions about ATEM Switchers, Camera Converter and everything live!
  • Author

Robert Brown

Do I Need The TalkBack Converter?

PostTue Jan 09, 2018 7:41 pm

I have an ATEM 1 M/E switcher (the older 2RU version). I plan to replace our 4 old Sony camcorders with BMD cameras this year (URSA's or Studio 4k's)
I plan to run a separate Mic lines to the cameras and use our existing wired intercom system with beltpacks at each camera, so I won't be using the camera's built in intercom.

I want camera control (color matching, etc), iris control of the lens, tally to the cameras and program return to the cameras.

Do I NEED a Talkback Converter for this, or can I send Program from the ATEM switcher into a BMD "Mini Converter SDI Distribution" unit and feed the SDI inputs of the cameras from that DA?

Should I also send a Reference signal to each camera?

Gary Adams

Blackmagic Design

Re: Do I Need The TalkBack Converter?

PostTue Jan 09, 2018 7:54 pm

Hello Robert. You are correct that it is not necessary to use the Talkback Converter if you wire it the way you mentioned. The SDI DA will handle all CCU and Tally information for the cameras. You do not need to send reference to the cameras as you should set them to "Program Input" using the ATEM as a reference. In the Camera menu be sure to set the Line Timing to -5 or max negative to insure the camera timing hits the ATEM ahead of the ATEM timing. This will insure minimum latency in the system.

Hope this helps.

Regards, Gary
Gary Adams
Blackmagic Design

Robert Brown

Re: Do I Need The TalkBack Converter?

PostTue Jan 16, 2018 3:27 am

Perfect, Gary! Thank you!
RB :D

Return to Live Production