Keep the hyperdeck studio mini?

Questions about ATEM Switchers, Camera Converter and everything live!
  • Author

BenWorkman

Keep the hyperdeck studio mini?

PostMon Jan 15, 2018 3:27 am

Just thinking through some things, need some advice:

I scored a pretty good deal on a hyperdeck mini, but my workflow is 2160p30 from a 1 M/E 4k to a 40x40, then 6G SDI out, all for 1hour30 or 2hours at a time. This puts me in the 150gb to 200gb range, but the 128gb cards rated by BM for UHD with the mini are minimum of $199 (the angelbird version). That plus the Hyperdeck and now I'm in the Shogun Flame + SSD territory, with much cheaper storage options (MX200 for example).

Should I be looking at this differently? I really want to love (and keep!) the hyperdeck, and I don't need to have a portable screen/recorder, but it just seems like at UHD and longer record times it's not for me.

David Hutchinson

Re: Keep the hyperdeck studio mini?

PostMon Jan 15, 2018 3:51 pm

Hi Ben,
I think you have the dilemma correct. I wish I had bought a second Hyperdeck Studio Pro rather than the Mini. For me even at low datarates I get frame drops on approved cards. The cards are extremely expensive and small when compared to SSDs in the Pro.

The pro is also a much better form factor with fast forward and rewind buttons (which the mini only has in software).

I've not tested the frame drops with the latest firmware update yet, hopefully those issues will be helped.

Return to Live Production