Tally for Multiview 4

Questions about ATEM Switchers, Camera Converter and everything live!
  • Author

Rick Goodman

Tally for Multiview 4

PostFri Feb 02, 2018 7:59 am

We have two Multiview 4 that are fed by our Smart Videohub 40x40. I would like to be able to show tally on each of these from our ATEM 2 M/E Production 4K. Would using the GPI & Tally Interface over ethernet network accomplish this?

Rick Goodman

Re: Tally for Multiview 4

PostSat Feb 03, 2018 5:25 pm

I have updated my Multiview 4 to the latest software version. Have gone in and clicked on Turn on SDI Tally. Using the SDI output to an SDI monitor I still have no Tally. Do I have to have the GPI and Tally Interface? Or can someone please tell me how to make this work.

Pavel Lavrov

PostSun Feb 04, 2018 5:29 am

If i remember correctly you have to feed one of the outputs from ATEM and it will match first 4 inputs tally info... just make sure you check settings (in ATEM) to select which output it sends auxiliary data..

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Pavel L

Gary Adams

Blackmagic Design

PostMon Feb 05, 2018 7:19 pm

Input 4 would need to be Program or Aux from the ATEM for the tally 1-4 to work directly. You cold use an Arduino Shield feeding input 4 to make any tally input work to the four displays. The GPI/Tally box does not interact with the Multiview.

Regards, Gary
Gary Adams
Blackmagic Design

gorilla_matt

PostMon Feb 05, 2018 8:59 pm

Tally is one of my biggest frustrations with the BMD universe.

We have leaned heavily into the BMD universe of equipment for our life setup. WE have an ATEM 2M/E Broadcast Studio, (1) 40x40 Smart Videohub, (1) 20x20 Smart Videohub, (2) Multiview 16s, and (1) Multiview 4. Why does tally data still feel so restricted and so dumb?

All of this equipment is connected over IP. Why do I still need to eat up SDI inputs and rely on SDI signal to transmit tally data? And why isn't it more flexible?

Here is a scenario that illustrates what I mean better.....We run a lot of corporate all hands meetings with 4 robo cams and 1 manned camera. We have a Multiview 4 connected to a 4K display for the robocam operator. Works brilliantly. It would be even better if he could have tally. But he can't, because these are fed from a Videohub, and we need all 4 inputs for cameras. Why can't I go into the software and somehow say "hey Multiview 4, talk to the ATEM at this IP address to get tally info, and even further, map inputs on the Multiview 4 to specific ATEM inputs that might or might not match. For example Input 1 on the MV4 is Input 3 on the ATEM, etc." In an IP world, it seems like this would be SO easy to program, and would be so incredibly useful across the Multiview 4 and the Multiview 16.

I'd love to know from someone at BMD if something like this has ever been considered and is even possible in the future?

Pavel Lavrov

PostMon Feb 05, 2018 9:26 pm

Gary Adams wrote:Input 4 would need to be Program or Aux from the ATEM for the tally 1-4 to work directly. You cold use an Arduino Shield feeding input 4 to make any tally input work to the four displays. The GPI/Tally box does not interact with the Multiview.

Regards, Gary

Please allow for tally control over network, SmartView Duo already has this feature (we use it and love it - no more clicking from BMD tally unit). Would be really useful in more permanent setups. Thank You
Pavel L

MambaFiber.com

PostMon Feb 05, 2018 9:45 pm

Pavel Lavrov wrote:Please allow for tally control over network, SmartView Duo already has this feature (we use it and love it - no more clicking from BMD tally unit). Would be really useful in more permanent setups. Thank You

I thought you could only tally these monitors from the db9 connector?? The user guide doesn't mention network tally, do explain please...
Greg Bellotte - owner
MambaFiber.com
FaceBook.com/MambaFiber

Pavel Lavrov

PostMon Feb 05, 2018 9:49 pm

MambaFiber.com wrote:
Pavel Lavrov wrote:Please allow for tally control over network, SmartView Duo already has this feature (we use it and love it - no more clicking from BMD tally unit). Would be really useful in more permanent setups. Thank You

I thought you could only tally these monitors from the db9 connector?? The user guide doesn't mention network tally, do explain please...

The manual is located under "Test Equipment" and not under "Video Audio Monitoring"... so you're looking for SmartView_Manual.pdf and go to page (starting) 31 for "Blackmagic SmartView Ethernet Protocol v1.3"
Pavel L

Return to Live Production