Capture 4 HD-SDI cameras using OBS

Questions about ATEM Switchers, Camera Converter and everything live!
  • Author

ultrafro

Capture 4 HD-SDI cameras using OBS

PostTue Feb 06, 2018 6:11 pm

Hi all,

Silly question, but can the Decklink 8K Pro handle 4x3GSDI cameras? It never explicitly says its multiple cards in one, and I don't want to end up with something that doesn't work.

Background:

I'm working on a projoect that requires me to capture 4 live cameras (1080i 59.94) and transmit them using OBS. I have been looking at the decklink duo2 since the description says 4 different capture cards in one, however I'm also thinking about the decklink 8K pro since it has 4x12G SDI inputs in case I need to use higher quality cameras in the future.

Thanks for your time!

Tony Rivera

Blackmagic Design

Re: Capture 4 HD-SDI cameras using OBS

PostWed Feb 07, 2018 12:54 am

The only cards that allow for multiple sources to be ingested are the DeckLink Duo 2 and Quad 2. DeckLink 8K Pro does not offer multiple source ingest. The SDI connections on this card are for Dual or Quad link input/output.
Support: http://www.blackmagicdesign.com/support
Info: http://www.blackmagicdesign.com/company

Follow us on Instagram:
@blackmagicnewsofficial

Xtreemtec

PostWed Feb 07, 2018 5:05 pm

Tony Rivera wrote:DeckLink 8K Pro does not offer multiple source ingest. The SDI connections on this card are for Dual or Quad link input/output.

DeckLink 8K Pro is an advanced 8 lane PCI Express capture and playback card designed for the next generation of high resolution 8K workflows. Featuring four 12G-SDI connections, DeckLink 8K Pro supports all SD, HD, Ultra HD, 4K, 8K and 8K DCI frame sizes. DeckLink 8K Pro works in 8 and 10-bit YUV 4:2:2 as well as 10 and 12-bit RGB 4:4:4 with full Rec. 2020 support, giving you deep color for true digital cinema quality images! In addition, you can work at up to 60 frames per second up to 8K, as well as up to 64 channels of audio. The connections are also bi-directional so you can use them to either capture or playback quad link 8K, or they can be used for simultaneous capture and playback of single or dual link SDI sources!

If this card does NOT?! support 4 independent channels you might want to be very clear about this on your website!!! Because the text is very suggestive it does support simultaneous Capture and playback, four 12G connections that take SD HD UHD and 12G... :shock: :(

SDI Video Inputs
4 x bi-directional 12Gb/s SD/HD/2K/4K/8K. Supports single, dual link and quad link 4:2:2/4:4:4. 2D/3D switchable.

SDI Video Outputs
4 x bi-directional 12Gb/s SD/HD/2K/4K/8K. Supports single, dual link and quad link 4:2:2/4:4:4. 2D/3D switchable.

This would be very misleading!! Also the image does imply you get 4x 12G in/out And not only Dual or Quadlink functionality...
Daniel Wittenaar .:: Xtreemtec Media Productions ::. -= www.xtreemtec.nl =-
4K OBV Trailer, ATEM TVS HD, 4M/E Broadcast Studio 4K, Constelation 8K, Hyperdeck Studio 12G, Ursa Broadcast 4K, 4K fiber converters with Sony Control

Andrew Martin

PostThu Feb 08, 2018 8:25 pm

Never really, BMD marketing getting it wrong ???
I didn't think they let acttual capabilities of the gear get in the way of marketing a product :D

Return to Live Production