Smart Videohub

Questions about ATEM Switchers, Camera Converter and everything live!
  • Author

pmorgan

Smart Videohub

PostThu Feb 08, 2018 6:17 pm

I could not find my specific answer in the forum so forgive me if it has already been asked. I understand that the Smart Videohub CleanSwitches are matix switches, but can you do multiple inputs to multiple outputs are the same time. For example can input 1 be routed to output 1,2,3,4 at the same time that input 2 is routed to output 5,6,7,8? I am building a media room where I have to send multiple different signals to different displays at the same time. I usually use something like an Extron or Crestron matrix to accomplish this, but I would like to start incorporating Blackmagic because of the cost.

Pavel Lavrov

Re: Smart Videohub

PostThu Feb 08, 2018 11:57 pm

pmorgan wrote:I could not find my specific answer in the forum so forgive me if it has already been asked. I understand that the Smart Videohub CleanSwitches are matix switches, but can you do multiple inputs to multiple outputs are the same time. For example can input 1 be routed to output 1,2,3,4 at the same time that input 2 is routed to output 5,6,7,8? I am building a media room where I have to send multiple different signals to different displays at the same time. I usually use something like an Extron or Crestron matrix to accomplish this, but I would like to start incorporating Blackmagic because of the cost.

Yes, you can do that.
The only thing you can NOT do is output multiple outputs from single connector/output... (but that should be obvious). ;)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Pavel L

Zack Pittman

PostTue Feb 13, 2018 4:01 am

Yes with an asterisk... if you are dealing with a Clean Switch 12x12 Smart Videohub you wont run into this, but if you are using a Universal Videohub (say a 288x288)... the Marcos are only limited to around 12-16 (cant remember the exact number) of routes in a single macro/salvo. So if you want to change 40 outputs at once to a single input.... not possible because the number of routes in a Macro/Salvo are limited. I was promised in person at NAB last year that they would address this... but doubt they ever will. I had to invest in Tallyman MKII+ to get around this issue... but their controllers aren’t cheap, and their router panels are even less cheap... (1) 32 button panel costs more than a 40x40 smart videohub

Sander Vreuls

PostTue Feb 13, 2018 9:06 am

With TallyMan you gain a lot of other options though. Look into virtual panels for it :) It's great!

Scott Smith

PostTue Feb 13, 2018 5:56 pm

Yes, that is what a matrix router is for.

Zack - i use telnet commands to do large salvos with ease. I have the old 72x144 Broadcast Videohub. Wish they still made this unit - or better yet, an updated version that could handle progressive scan. On a Mac, i use the Script Editor to give me telnet salvos i regularly use on a single icon click. Telnet isn't the fastest protocol in the world, so it isn't 100% synchronous in time. But it is close.

For less used salvos, I just keep txt files with the telnet command and the routes i want to change, copy and paste them into terminal, and bam, they switch. It's also a good way to rename lots of inputs and outputs all at once.

The biggest problem with telnet for this: what I think of as "Input 1" is telnet "INPUT 0". 2 is 1, 3 is 2, and so on. When I get to output 73, it is "MONITORING OUTPUT 0". Then 74 is "MONITORING OUTPUT 1". It requires you to use a small amount of brain power keeping track in your head when making them. Once made, they just work.

Telnet also works in Windows, though I am not as familiar with its setup or making single-click versions. Use VisualBasic to create them, maybe?
Scott R Smith
BMD Stuff I use: ATEM 2-M/E, 4 x ATEM PS 4K, Broadcast Videohub, 6 Hyperdeck Pros, 4 Hyperdeck Shuttles, Multidock, Smartscope Duo, Smartview, Intensity Extreme, Decklink Studio, and lots of Miniconverters and Open Gear Converters.

Scott Smith

PostTue Feb 13, 2018 6:14 pm

It looks like this. Simple copy paste into terminal, and you are done:

telnet 192.168.1.2 9990

VIDEO OUTPUT ROUTING:
0 0
1 1
2 2
3 5
4 4
5 3
6 4
7 31
8 32
9 71
10 10
11 11
12 48
13 18
14 16
15 17
16 71

VIDEO MONITORING OUTPUT ROUTING:
0 61
1 1
2 6
3 9
4 69
5 71
6 0
7 1
Scott R Smith
BMD Stuff I use: ATEM 2-M/E, 4 x ATEM PS 4K, Broadcast Videohub, 6 Hyperdeck Pros, 4 Hyperdeck Shuttles, Multidock, Smartscope Duo, Smartview, Intensity Extreme, Decklink Studio, and lots of Miniconverters and Open Gear Converters.

Return to Live Production