Lower third with black text

Questions about ATEM Switchers, Camera Converter and everything live!
  • Author

Matt Simpson

Lower third with black text

PostFri Feb 09, 2018 9:04 pm

I have a lower third video created with text in black. In keying this to go over a camera shot the black text is being cut out. What's the right combo of keying and video to get the text to stay black. The video was exported as a ProRes 4444 file.

I am on the Television Studio HD.

Thanks

Duncan Stewart

Re: Lower third with black text

PostSat Feb 10, 2018 10:38 am

Many ways to do this.
With video you need a separate FILL (video) and KEY (cutout signal) as SDI into the switcher on two separate inputs. Or use a preset pattern on the keyer to cutout the video, or chromakey.
If the cutout is complicated but doesn't animate you can store the cutout in a media player but use a video input for the fill.
Alternatively you can run it all in from media players by importing a tga or TIFF sequence or still from a RGBAlpha exported file. The RGB and Alpha would look a bit like this
Attachments
Name Strap.jpg
Name Strap.jpg (40.52 KiB) Viewed 152 times

Thomas Seewald

PostSat Feb 10, 2018 11:02 am

Hi Matt,

as Duncan wrote, you need separate key and fill signals. He gave a real good workaround.

How did you feed the graphics into the TVS HD ? For feeding the graphics from a computer, you need a program, which can handle key/fill (e.g. CasparCG) and additional video cards. Or you use the new Hyperdeck Mini, which is able to playback files with alpha and send the signals over two cables to the TVS HD. (Two inputs needed !). I know this new feature only from BM advertising, so I can‘t give more infos about this.

Duncan, has th New TVS HD the ability to show sequences ? I thought, this only works with bigger ATEMs ... My „old“ TVS can only show still graphics.
thos-berlin - Thomas S e e w a l d

Duncan Stewart

PostSat Feb 10, 2018 12:37 pm

Thomas Seewald wrote:Duncan, has th New TVS HD the ability to show sequences ? I thought, this only works with bigger ATEMs ... My „old“ TVS can only show still graphics.

Apologies - you're quite right. It's stills only on the Television Studio HD

Return to Live Production