SDI run lengths for Videohub

Questions about ATEM Switchers, Camera Converter and everything live!
  • Author

Happydog

SDI run lengths for Videohub

PostSat Feb 10, 2018 2:46 pm

I'm looking at the 12 x 12 and 20 x 20. There is a bad review on BH Photo that the 20 x 20 is only good for coax runs of 150'. Seems unlikely but would appreciate confirmation that these products are good for the standard 300' safe distance over standard RG6.

Xtreemtec

Re: SDI run lengths for Videohub

PostThu Feb 15, 2018 7:24 pm

Yeah well did the review say what cable they used and what source? What connector? I mean there is so many things that can influence the SDI signal to not meet official specs..
Daniel Wittenaar .:: Xtreemtec Media Productions ::. -= www.xtreemtec.nl =-
4K OBV Trailer, ATEM TVS HD, 4M/E Broadcast Studio 4K, Constelation 8K, Hyperdeck Studio 12G, Ursa Broadcast 4K, 4K fiber converters with Sony Control

Happydog

PostFri Feb 16, 2018 12:02 am

It didn’t say. But all I care about is that those units will be good for standard 100m runs using proper SDI cable and proper termination. I expect they do.

Matt Certa

PostFri Feb 16, 2018 9:34 pm

Ive always had the opinion that BM gear doesnt like runs of RG6 over 200' very well. But there are so many variables. couplers, patch bays, patch bay jumpers, etc etc

Xtreemtec

PostFri Feb 16, 2018 9:46 pm

BMD uses Macom chipsets for there in and output chipsets. I have seen tests at IBC on the Macom booth where they put 80 or 90 meters of 12G video over cabling were it would normally end on 40 meters.. So i do not doubt about the Macom chipsets while yes the used chipsets are offcoarse a few years older.. But too many factors that influence the outcome of such review.
Daniel Wittenaar .:: Xtreemtec Media Productions ::. -= www.xtreemtec.nl =-
4K OBV Trailer, ATEM TVS HD, 4M/E Broadcast Studio 4K, Constelation 8K, Hyperdeck Studio 12G, Ursa Broadcast 4K, 4K fiber converters with Sony Control

Tom_Bassford

PostSun Feb 18, 2018 6:51 pm

Blackmagic routers don’t work well with low level SDI signals. I’ve had a few shows recently where we had to reclock with decimators to make the bmd router see our signals.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
http://www.atemuser.com
if it was easy it wouldn't be called engineering

Scott Smith

PostTue Feb 20, 2018 7:31 pm

grrr. Vague questions and vague responses.

Happydog, it matters if you are trying to push 12G 4K video down the RG6 or if you are only pushing 720x480. Details matter when you are looking for an accurate response.
Scott R Smith
BMD Stuff I use: ATEM 2-M/E, 4 x ATEM PS 4K, Broadcast Videohub, 6 Hyperdeck Pros, 4 Hyperdeck Shuttles, Multidock, Smartscope Duo, Smartview, Intensity Extreme, Decklink Studio, and lots of Miniconverters and Open Gear Converters.

Return to Live Production