How to add more media inputs?

Questions about ATEM Switchers, Camera Converter and everything live!
  • Author

roconnor

How to add more media inputs?

PostMon Feb 12, 2018 11:43 pm

I run a high school live broadcast each morning. We currently have a few options for media, but are looking to expand our media sources so that we can add more graphics to our broadcast. Our current setup is as follows:

- 2 media players (built into 2 m/e switcher)
- 1 HyperDeck SSD playback
- 2 computers with DeckLink and Premiere

I am wondering how we should (cost efficiently) add more inputs. I noticed that in some black magic marketing shots for the 2 m/e switcher, which is what we have, they show 4 media players. Additionally, is it possible to add more than one DeckLink to each computer? Then, I assume we would use the media organizer software instead of premiere. Any other suggestions to getting more graphics/video inputs would be appreciated.

Andrew Martin

Re: How to add more media inputs?

PostTue Feb 13, 2018 4:58 pm

Pay no attention to BMD marketing shots it's all contrived and photoshopped images and bares little to no resemblance to what the gear can actually acheive. :D

You can use as many cards in the pc as you have bandwidth and capabilities for. Although you'll have to find a software capable of driving them all as you can only run a single instance of the BMD software at anyone time.
Something like medialooks direct take or millumin should handle multiple cards or cards with multiple outputs.

A.

Scott Smith

PostTue Feb 13, 2018 5:47 pm

You might take a look at ProPresenter. It will take in many different formats, you can set up a run of show, and go through multiple video playback using a single source. You could even add in a key channel module for playback of graphics with an alpha channel.
Scott R Smith
BMD Stuff I use: ATEM 2-M/E, 4 x ATEM PS 4K, Broadcast Videohub, 6 Hyperdeck Pros, 4 Hyperdeck Shuttles, Multidock, Smartscope Duo, Smartview, Intensity Extreme, Decklink Studio, and lots of Miniconverters and Open Gear Converters.

Thomas Seewald

PostTue Feb 13, 2018 6:38 pm

You could also try the free CasparCG.
thos-berlin - Thomas S e e w a l d

Xtreemtec

PostThu Feb 15, 2018 4:09 pm

Andrew Martin wrote:Pay no attention to BMD marketing shots it's all contrived and photoshopped images and bares little to no resemblance to what the gear can actually acheive. :D

The 2ME/4ME Broadcast mixer does have 4 media players ;) Not sure about the 2ME production studio.. But the Broadcast 4K does have them.. :lol:
Daniel Wittenaar .:: Xtreemtec Media Productions ::. -= www.xtreemtec.nl =-
4K OBV Trailer, ATEM TVS HD, 4M/E Broadcast Studio 4K, Constelation 8K, Hyperdeck Studio 12G, Ursa Broadcast 4K, 4K fiber converters with Sony Control

Return to Live Production