Ultrastudio Mini Recorder- No light/power after update crash

Questions about ATEM Switchers, Camera Converter and everything live!
  • Author

Alan Power

Ultrastudio Mini Recorder- No light/power after update crash

PostThu Feb 15, 2018 2:54 pm

Hi,

We have a brand new Ultrastudio Mini Recorder and after installing Desktop Video, it started to update. The computer froze/crashed and restarted unfortunately and now the Mini Recorder shows no led light or power when plugged into any machine using any thunderbolt cable. Is there a way to reset it or has that broken it completely?

Thanks

(It's probably worth mentioning that we have a Mini Monitor that works fine)

Xtreemtec

Re: Ultrastudio Mini Recorder- No light/power after update c

PostThu Feb 15, 2018 4:56 pm

Contact BMD support. I guess yours is broken and needs to get a fix now.
Daniel Wittenaar .:: Xtreemtec Media Productions ::. -= www.xtreemtec.nl =-
4K OBV Trailer, ATEM TVS HD, 4M/E Broadcast Studio 4K, Constelation 8K, Hyperdeck Studio 12G, Ursa Broadcast 4K, 4K fiber converters with Sony Control

keyfinn

PostTue Feb 20, 2018 11:31 am

unnamed.jpg
unnamed.jpg (600.64 KiB) Viewed 10504 times
This happened to me too. Did you get it fixed dude?
The last time I used mine I was using my canon dslr 70d and using the Ultrastudio Mini Recorder to send a feed to OBS for streaming music gig. Its been a few weeks since I used it but when I plugged in (PRE update) to use with OBS yesterday...there was no picture. the light was on and my Mac saw the device...I did everything as I normally do. I had to cancel my plans to stream. I checked all settings and searched Google and this forum for a fix. I updated the Desktop Video driver...and then my Mac couldn't even see the Ultra mini!! And no light!! How is this gear supposed to be used in professional fields where reliability is paramount. Im reading that people are having issues with this device all over. I tried a new cable and a different iMac this morning. What a waste of money if this can't be fixed.

Tony Rivera

Blackmagic Design

PostWed Feb 21, 2018 10:52 pm

Both of the issues raised in the thread appear to be completely unrelated.

Alan Power wrote:Hi,

We have a brand new Ultrastudio Mini Recorder and after installing Desktop Video, it started to update. The computer froze/crashed and restarted unfortunately and now the Mini Recorder shows no led light or power when plugged into any machine using any thunderbolt cable. Is there a way to reset it or has that broken it completely?

This appears that if the update was not completed, the advice Daniel provided is correct to contact us. You can find this information for your regions office on the support page.

As for Ciaran's issue; there isn't enough information provided for the other users here to assist you. Information such as the OSX you're running, the model of computer and what DTV version you're on would be beneficial to others to give you some guidance. You could also contact support for some additional troubleshooting if you require it.
Support: http://www.blackmagicdesign.com/support
Info: http://www.blackmagicdesign.com/company

Follow us on Instagram:
@blackmagicnewsofficial

codymccloy

PostMon Apr 16, 2018 11:30 pm

Was there an update on this? had the same problem -- it was interupted during an update and now is completely unresponsive.

zeidan

PostMon May 07, 2018 8:07 pm

I just had the same exact issue!! Update interrupted > mini recorder is dead. Is that a fault in Blackmagic mini recorders?

Anyone please help

Xtreemtec

PostTue May 08, 2018 11:36 am

Again contact BMD.. The device is hang up now in a so called update loop. Needs to be send in to BMD to get reprogrammed. ;)
Daniel Wittenaar .:: Xtreemtec Media Productions ::. -= www.xtreemtec.nl =-
4K OBV Trailer, ATEM TVS HD, 4M/E Broadcast Studio 4K, Constelation 8K, Hyperdeck Studio 12G, Ursa Broadcast 4K, 4K fiber converters with Sony Control

James Harkness

PostFri Oct 12, 2018 7:47 pm

please no... theres gotta be something I can do here. I need this for tomorrow and this just happened to me.

Dave Del Vecchio

PostSat Oct 13, 2018 12:27 am

As far as I know there is no end user solution for an update being interrupted. Usually if you send the device or card into your Blackmagic support office, they can flash the firmware directly to the card to revive it.

But I'm not aware of any way to do this through the Desktop Video Utility.

Tony Rivera

Blackmagic Design

PostMon Oct 15, 2018 10:59 pm

Dave Del Vecchio wrote:As far as I know there is no end user solution for an update being interrupted. Usually if you send the device or card into your Blackmagic support office, they can flash the firmware directly to the card to revive it.

But I'm not aware of any way to do this through the Desktop Video Utility.

This is correct. This can only be done by the company and there is no way to flash the product on your own.

Follow us on Instagram:
@blackmagicnewsofficial

Melvin Htet

PostSun Feb 24, 2019 7:55 am

We also encountered the same issue - not once but twice :cry:

But when I contacted to BMD service centre, the device was out of warranty and asked for Diagnostic and service fee.

I suppose it is BMD's software/firmware related issue :roll:
The device was working perfectly fine before the s/w update. BMD team should look into this issue.
Thanks

carosh

PostSat Nov 09, 2019 6:38 pm

There's a lot of BMMR over the world, and the only solution you offer is to send it across the planet to get manufacturer?. Come on... release a fix. Everybody here knows how to apply it, just give it to us.

I'm so disapointed about blackmagic cause this issue, and the imposibility to fix it online. It's 2020!!.

Tony Rivera

Blackmagic Design

PostThu Nov 21, 2019 9:45 pm

carosh wrote:There's a lot of BMMR over the world, and the only solution you offer is to send it across the planet to get manufacturer?. Come on... release a fix. Everybody here knows how to apply it, just give it to us.

I'm so disapointed about blackmagic cause this issue, and the imposibility to fix it online. It's 2020!!.

There is more to the recovery process than simply having a piece of software on your computer and connecting the device which is why it's required for the unit to be sent to an office that can support this.

Follow us on Instagram:
@blackmagicnewsofficial

johnkagu

PostThu Mar 05, 2020 8:21 am

I got a UltraStudio Mini Pro as a gift and in 2018 during an update on location the cable got yanked and the Mini was dead. The issue I have is that even after contacting BM they have not sorted me because the item is in Africa and was bought in the US. The local dealer says they can't help. Is there any hope for me after such an investment to has been made for the Item to be used again?

Krispy The DJ

PostTue Mar 31, 2020 2:46 am

Same thing has happened to me, did the update on location and it just died.

spoke to the local dealer in Australia and was told if the light isn't on its dead so buy a new one.
can someone confirm that ?

if so ill be buying a Different brand if that's how you get treated especially because it was your update that killed it not any fault of mine.

If someone from Blackmagic could reply that would be great.

Andrei3000

PostMon May 11, 2020 6:49 pm

I had the same issue. I´ve been using this device for the last 2 years and the other day just stopped working. Light off and is undetectable by my mac. Bought a new one, same model UltraStudio Mini recorder, and surprise, not working either, checked the cable a new one, adapter a new one too, both original by apple. Tried to install older cversions of the dirvers and still not working. Does anyone have a solution for it? Should I return it and get other brand capture card?
Thank you!

James Harkness

PostSun May 17, 2020 4:28 pm

Im pretty sure they started providing the software in an update. I cant recall though for sure.

Return to Live Production