Multiview Arrangement

Questions about ATEM Switchers, Camera Converter and everything live!
  • Author

Alex Gorski

Multiview Arrangement

PostSun Feb 18, 2018 3:27 pm

This here is a MV screen I saw in a huge french production truck near the REC/VTR section, where operators used this to monitor and route ISO cameras. Sadly forgot to ask what the hardware behind this was.

MultiView14 reshuffled sml.jpg
MultiView14 reshuffled sml.jpg (211.12 KiB) Viewed 1710 times

I rearranged a bit the tiles, in the original pix the 10 camera souces were aligned on the upper half while the 4 remaining screens were grouped on the lower left while the PVW/PGM duo and the clock insert took the lower right.

This is the path I would like to see BMD taking in future ATEM hardware/software solutions.

10 screens for the 10 inputs ( but still flexibly routable ), 4 screens for non-camera related sources, like Mediaplayers and Playout feeds.

The trick with this precise arrangement here is the format of the single tiles/screens. They are closer to the 4:3 ratio and place the IDs in the the space outside of the 16:9 area. No pollution of the already scarce picture area. Hence this overall arrangement made possible.

The filling of the remaining empty space with a clock/countdown insert has already been seen in many other professional setups. Nothing new here. Still makes sense !

If only the next generation of BMD switcher could take over this kind of smart arrangement. With the evolution of the present hardware family, the validity of the Multiview arrangement has never been questioned, not a single inch was ever changed since the beginning of the ATEM line.
It's time to step over this old corpse and go looking for the next level, for whatever the number of M/E busses might become the "new" standard.

Grant Petty, this could/should be your next challenge. Let the old MV display die already.
1M/E Prod Studio 4K
2M/E Prod Studio 4K
Television Studio HD
Studio Converter
4 Camera Converter
Teranex 2D
Ultrastudio 4K
UltraStudio Express

Tom_Bassford

Multiview Arrangement

PostSun Feb 18, 2018 6:43 pm

That looks like an Evertz Multiviewer. They are great if a little expensive.

The decimator multiviewers have all these functions (except clock) at a very affordable price point.

Regarding the 4me this switcher is a joke. It has nowhere near the resources needed to actually make use of the 4 ME banks. The internal multiviewers are part of the problem, but the lack of output resources is the real deal breaker. A switcher of this size should have at least 16 aux buses. It also needs a proper macros system which can do source replacement on ME banks. I really don’t understand what their thinking is with this new switcher, it is really limited by these design oversights.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
http://www.atemuser.com
if it was easy it wouldn't be called engineering

Howard Roll

Re: Multiview Arrangement

PostSun Feb 18, 2018 7:01 pm

Times New Roman? Probably an Evertz 7700 frame with Dual MV card run from the Maestro MVP software.

These are hardware MVs that are about as customizable as you can imagine. Aspect ratios, guides, position, red/yellow/green tallies, crosspoint, GPI triggers, font's, drop shadow, borders, and on and on. They also cost more that the top of the line ATEM.

For what it's worth I've never seen a switcher multi view that allowed for much if any spatial customization beyond pick your PIP. I think the Ross Carbonites have the most presets and the small Grass k-Frames have only a handful.

It would be a cool feature no doubt.

Edit: Tom beat me to it. And yeah it's more like a 1 and 3 half MEs switcher.

Markus Leodolter

PostMon Feb 19, 2018 6:23 pm

I would be glad if the ATEMs could support 21:9 widescreen monitors. There would be enough space for 4 more inputs (input 9, 10, media players...)

Alex Gorski

PostMon Feb 19, 2018 7:52 pm

Thx guys for identifying the hardware involved.

Went to their website https://evertz.com/products/MVP

Now that 's what I call a Multiviewer.
But that supreme level of flexibility has a way higher price tag ....

If only our tecchies from down-under could put a little bit more of their imaginative forces behind the "enhancement" of products that are mostly taken over from other, capsizing companies.
1M/E Prod Studio 4K
2M/E Prod Studio 4K
Television Studio HD
Studio Converter
4 Camera Converter
Teranex 2D
Ultrastudio 4K
UltraStudio Express

Return to Live Production