4k 60fps Workflow Design

Questions about ATEM Switchers, Camera Converter and everything live!
  • Author

JoeyWilkerson

4k 60fps Workflow Design

PostMon Feb 19, 2018 4:42 am

So it's time for an upgrade at the church I work at. The idea was a 4k at 60fps workflow so I wanted to get some of your opinions on this design I put together.

Also I wanted to get some insight to some of your experiences with these products and how much possible latency there might be and so on.As well as any issues I may have overlooked or any cool additions that could be added. Thanks!

Screen Shot 2018-02-18 at 8.40.47 PM.png
Screen Shot 2018-02-18 at 8.40.47 PM.png (293.2 KiB) Viewed 944 times

Denny Smith

Re: 4k 60fps Workflow Design

PostTue Feb 20, 2018 6:14 pm

Why do you want to use a higher bit-rate 60fps work flow, when yiu can get the same results with 4K/UHD 29.97/30 FPS workflow? Deoping down to UHD 30fps would allow the use of more equipment and camera options like the new BM Broadcast Camera and supporting bits.
Cheers
Denny Smith
SHA Productions

Xtreemtec

PostTue Feb 20, 2018 8:06 pm

I don't see cameras in your example.

Do you want to invest 4K for what? A 4K projector will not deliver a 4x sharper picture then a HD projector.. ;)
Streaming on 4K is useless at the moment. Because almost nobody can look at 4K content yet...

Expect to pay 6 / 7 times as much money to go full 4K now then HD. ( i know i have about the same setup in an OBV trailer)
But i have gone for Decklink cards instead of a Ultrastudio.. ;)
You have about 10K worth of BMD hardware in your screenshot.. Not to mention all new SDI cabling you need to pull for 4K. Not to mention 12G sdi cabling can only reach 40 meters with the right cable and UHD connectors.
Your projector wont have a 12G-sdi connection so you need a Teranex mini SDI to HDMI in there.
Same applies for your Lobby tv's.. And if they are not 4K you need to downscale that image from the Teranex mini.
Same applies for your content computer. HDMI to SDI teranex mini.. Or get a MAC were you can put in a Decklink card and some playout software than can handle a Decklink card.

Remember that EVERY! source connected to the Atem needs to be the same resolution and framerate.. So you can't mix HD and 4K sources together. ;)

Not sure what you will gain for your church in 4K instead of HD. Unless you have a lot of money to burn / spend in a project..
Daniel Wittenaar .:: Xtreemtec Media Productions ::. -= www.xtreemtec.nl =-
4K OBV Trailer, ATEM TVS HD, 4M/E Broadcast Studio 4K, Constelation 8K, Hyperdeck Studio 12G, Ursa Broadcast 4K, 4K fiber converters with Sony Control

Jack Fairley

PostTue Feb 20, 2018 11:48 pm

Rather than go 4K I would spend more money on a nice HD setup, 3G-SDI if you must have 60p. As Daniel says you will spend much more money on 4K, perhaps you can put that budget into better audio, lighting, whatever else.
Ryzen 5800X3D
32GB DDR4-3600
RTX 3090
DeckLink 4K Extreme 12G
Resolve Studio 17.4.1
Windows 11 Pro 21H2

Asgeir Hustad

PostWed Feb 21, 2018 8:49 am

Also, I know your patch panel isn't shown, but you really ought to bring all cables from the Hyperdeck that aren't in use to the patch panel - that will allow a lot more usability from it.

I often play back the rehearsals or part of them in the control room, to give the cameramen a chance to see and adjust their shots and for the director to get another view of the feel and timing.

Return to Live Production