Animating SuperSource boxes

Questions about ATEM Switchers, Camera Converter and everything live!
  • Author

Baz

Animating SuperSource boxes

PostWed Feb 21, 2018 3:42 am

Do more with SuperSource! :shock:

Baz

MISC
U/S Express, SmartviewDuo, SmartScopeDuo, Teranex 2D, Web Pres, 5/7 Vid Assists
VIDEOHUB
Smart 12x12
12x24
72x144
HYPERDECK
Studio, Shuttle, Studio Mini
ATEM
2me4K, 2me, TVS, TVS HD, CamConvs, StudioConvs, Studio Cams, Micro Studio Cam

Sam Cole

Re: Animating SuperSource boxes

PostWed Feb 28, 2018 10:48 pm

So you can use this device to create multibox transitions?

Can it also be used for animating titles etc with multiple keyframes over a length of time?

You also mention in your video that it will be able to control the ATEM DVE so does that mean you can turn the DVE into a keyframable effects unit like the realtime Abacus A51, ADO 1000 etc?

I am getting a little excited at the moment. Somebody stop me. :o

Xtreemtec

PostThu Mar 01, 2018 12:26 pm

Looks like he commands the atem to change the position of the boxes.. And if you store a begin point and end point and generate a time between that with every X frame a new position command yes to the eye it looks like a animated / flying box.
Very cool implementation Baz.!!

BMD would be able to something similar in their Atem control software. Or you can even do it yourself by making a macro and painfully make adjustments for every macro frame you record. :lol:
Baz his self calculating is then much easier to use.
Daniel Wittenaar .:: Xtreemtec Media Productions ::. -= www.xtreemtec.nl =-
4K OBV Trailer, ATEM TVS HD, 4M/E Broadcast Studio 4K, Constelation 8K, Hyperdeck Studio 12G, Ursa Broadcast 4K, 4K fiber converters with Sony Control

Raphaël Jacquot

PostFri Mar 02, 2018 6:53 am

it looks like you're using linear interpolation between each keyframe for the animation, I would suggest adding a quadratic interpolation engine over one or multiple parts of the timeline.

Baz

PostSat Mar 03, 2018 12:23 am

Raphaël Jacquot wrote:it looks like you're using linear interpolation between each keyframe for the animation, I would suggest adding a quadratic interpolation engine over one or multiple parts of the timeline.

When setting the timeline you have the choice of making each keyframe 'interpolation' linear, ease in, ease out, hold and pause. I call it 'motion' rather than 'interpolation' to make it easier to understand.
The video above shows linear as you suggested and was used as a good indication of multiple keyframes being used in the timeline. The motion types are....
LINEAR is the exact same motion speed between each keyframe.
EASE IN starts faster (variable) and slows down as it reaches the next keyframe.
EASE OUT speeds up (variable) as it reaches the next keyframe.
HOLD will not move (jumps) when it gets to the next keyframe.
PAUSE will wait for user before it runs each keyframe in the timeline.
If different motion types are used between each keyframe the motion curve will also change between each as the timeline progresses. As an example if keyframe 1 is set to ease in at a rate of 30 (variable) and keyframe 2 is set to ease out at a rate of -20 the curve will change over that time.

The timeline has a maximum of 10 keyframes and each keyframe can control ALL 4 boxes individual parameters of Xpos, Ypos, Size, Source, Box on/off, Crop left, crop right, crop top, crop bottom, crop on/off. Each keyframe can have its own motion type that makes for interesting effects. Each keyframe controls are absolute, that is, regardless of the motion type, the keyframe adjustments will always be where they are set, so they will not be influenced by any extreme motion type.

I am still playing with the maths but the results are far better than what I expected. All the calculations are using floating point maths on a 8 bit Arduino! Each ATEM command are being sent at 20mS intervals to emulate field interpolation but I would love to have sub pixel control to make it that much smoother. Unfortunately the ATEM does not apply that to the supersource but they do on the DVE so it should work a lot smoother.

Here are the motion type emulation experiments programmed into Excel...

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=1798046150225744&set=gm.629271734082894&type=3&theater&ifg=1

MISC
VIDEOHUB
Smart 12x12
12x24
72x144
HYPERDECK
ATEM

Baz

PostSat Mar 03, 2018 12:32 am

Sam Cole wrote:So you can use this device to create multibox transitions?

Yes. I will post some video examples sometime.

Sam Cole wrote:Can it also be used for animating titles etc with multiple keyframes over a length of time?

Yes. The maximum length is 255 frames (~10 secs) and can have up to 10 keyframes

Sam Cole wrote:You also mention in your video that it will be able to control the ATEM DVE so does that mean you can turn the DVE into a keyframable effects unit like the realtime Abacus A51, ADO 1000 etc?

Yes. I am basing the operation loosely on the way those realtime DVE units use to operate. Of course the ATEM Supersources do not have rotation but certainly with the DVE. maybe one day the DVE will also have 'warp'

Sam Cole wrote:I am getting a little excited at the moment. Somebody stop me. :o

I have explained a little more in that email I replied to you.

MISC
VIDEOHUB
Smart 12x12
12x24
72x144
HYPERDECK
ATEM

Baz

PostSat Mar 03, 2018 12:40 am

Xtreemtec wrote:Looks like he commands the atem to change the position of the boxes.. And if you store a begin point and end point and generate a time between that with every X frame a new position command yes to the eye it looks like a animated / flying box.
Very cool implementation Baz.!!

BMD would be able to something similar in their Atem control software. Or you can even do it yourself by making a macro and painfully make adjustments for every macro frame you record. :lol:
Baz his self calculating is then much easier to use.

Yes Daniel thats how it works; I divide the changes between the 2 keyframes by the number of frames which gives me the 'step' values and then I apply a variable log value to emulate a curve. This is then done between each keyframe in real time as it is running (as well as in jog mode).

The only downside to this whole effect is that the ATEM is getting bombarded with SuperSource commands over the ethernet so its best not to do anything else while the effect is running.
The ideal solution is to have the ATEM hardware do it from a single command and not tie up the ethernet but that is out of my control!

MISC
VIDEOHUB
Smart 12x12
12x24
72x144
HYPERDECK
ATEM

Baz

PostTue Mar 06, 2018 6:53 am

As promised here are some more SuperSource Animation examples...

MISC
VIDEOHUB
Smart 12x12
12x24
72x144
HYPERDECK
ATEM

Baz

PostTue Mar 13, 2018 9:39 am

Programming animations on the timeline.....

MISC
VIDEOHUB
Smart 12x12
12x24
72x144
HYPERDECK
ATEM

Return to Live Production