ATEM Production Studio "times out"

Questions about ATEM Switchers, Camera Converter and everything live!
  • Author

notquitepro

ATEM Production Studio "times out"

PostThu Mar 01, 2018 8:55 pm

Having an issue with the ATEM Production Studio.

As a way to list out everything in line, here is a signal flow for the network

Apple Router -> Netgear ProSAFE PoE Network switch (model JGS524PE) -> misc BMD equipment

Basically, when I have the Production Studio plugged into the ProSAFE Switch, it will stay connected for about 5 minutes and then disconnect. All the other BMD equipment will stay connected when going through this switch. I have tried different patch cables at different lengths, using a non-PoE vs PoE, ect. When i bypass the ProSAFE switch, and just run my patch cables straight out of the Apple Router, there are no issues staying connected. This works as a temporary fix, but only allows for 3 hard-line Ethernet connections at once, plus an essentially useless network switch taking up space in my rack. Is there a setting I am missing in the ProSafe that could cause this? Is there a different network switch that would be recommended?

Thanks! :)

MambaFiber.com

Re: ATEM Production Studio "times out"

PostFri Mar 02, 2018 1:21 am

thats odd. is your NetGear running the latest software/firmware? is it running in default mode (one network) or have you setup VLANs or other programming changes in it?

what happens if you leave the ATEM connected directly to the Airport, and loop an Airport port to the NetGear and other devices?

we use Cisco SG300 series switches and never have an issue...
Greg Bellotte - owner
MambaFiber.com
FaceBook.com/MambaFiber

Xtreemtec

PostFri Mar 02, 2018 11:03 am

The Atem is the only device that does heavy UDP traffic.. All other BMD gear on the network will just sit idle so you won't notish if it drops out.

I would double check if you dont have a IP confilict or double IP address in your network..
Daniel Wittenaar .:: Xtreemtec Media Productions ::. -= www.xtreemtec.nl =-
4K OBV Trailer, ATEM TVS HD, 4M/E Broadcast Studio 4K, Constelation 8K, Hyperdeck Studio 12G, Ursa Broadcast 4K, 4K fiber converters with Sony Control

notquitepro

PostFri Mar 02, 2018 5:25 pm

The netgear is running as a unmanaged network, so the only IP it has is coming from the AirPort. Checked all addresses using Fing app and everything had a separate IP.

Looping into the netgear seems to work well, after the shows this weekend I will rip apart the rack (again, lol) and try it out for real in a more controlled environment.

Thanks so much!

MambaFiber.com

PostFri Mar 02, 2018 7:56 pm

the other common mistake to check for...

you have set static addresses for certain devices, like your ATEM I presume. Are you sure these static numbers fall outside of the Airport's DHCP server range? For example, if your ATEM is 192.168.1.10, and your DHCP range is 192.168.1.2-192.168.1.100. You run the risk of the DHCP server giving another device 192.168.1.10 which would conflict with your ATEM and maybe cause it to drop off the network. Whatever your DHCP range is, make sure all of your static numbers are outside of this range.
Greg Bellotte - owner
MambaFiber.com
FaceBook.com/MambaFiber

Return to Live Production