Do I really need a laptop for the ATEM TVS HD?

Questions about ATEM Switchers, Camera Converter and everything live!
  • Author

Jon Hart

Do I really need a laptop for the ATEM TVS HD?

PostWed Mar 14, 2018 11:01 pm

Looking to do some webinar type jobs. 2 feeds coming in via sdi, a laptop in via hdmi. 2 graphics, one a holding slide, the other a branded bug. Audio comes in via the audio in XLRs.

From what I can tell, I can preload the graphics into the switcher. Cameras/laptop should connect just fine. My only concern is being able to control the audio in from the front panel, and making it so I don't have to use a control computer. Can I do this?

Denny Smith

Re: Do I really need a laptop for the ATEM TVS HD?

PostThu Mar 15, 2018 1:09 am

Not likely, the audio control need a computer to set the levels and route the correct channels. You might be able to preset the audio bits, and then unplug, but not sure if the ATEM will boot up to the last setup state.
Cheers
Denny Smith
SHA Productions

David Settlemoir

PostThu Mar 15, 2018 3:26 am

You can control the audio in the ATEM Television Studio HD without a laptop.

Just go to Audio Mixer in menu, then scroll down to source and hit set. Then you can adjust audio level with knob.

David

Denny Smith

PostThu Mar 15, 2018 5:10 am

Great, good to know David, thanks.
Cheers
Denny Smith
SHA Productions

MambaFiber.com

PostThu Mar 15, 2018 5:18 am

after you get your settings to your liking (incl. audio), select "Save StartUp State" from the menu in the ATEM software. This will save all of your settings into the switcher and recall them the way you want on ATEM power up even without a computer/software running. Things like whats on PGM, where the DVE box is preset, and having your XLR ins already turned on and level set will all be recalled as saved. Pretty sure the TVSHD will retain media pool content thru a power cycle too (wished the old models could do this).

as long as you don't need to do any ATEM audio adjustments while live (possible thru menu but tedious), you should be good without a computer.
Greg Bellotte - owner
MambaFiber.com
FaceBook.com/MambaFiber

Return to Live Production