telnet into old broadcast videohub?

Questions about ATEM Switchers, Camera Converter and everything live!
  • Author

Zack Pittman

telnet into old broadcast videohub?

PostFri Mar 16, 2018 6:39 pm

I was looking into buying the 288x288 for a project, to be controlled buy a custom routing system that would feed the 288x288 telnet, but stock is too low to put together what I need in full.

Soooooo, due to my tight timeframe, I'm looking into at getting (2) of the older 72x144 Broadcast video hubs.... but they are USB only. I know they need a host computer so that you can use a Videohub Master or Smart controller over the network to control them.... but is there a way to send telnet through that host computer to the router that is tethered by USB only?

Scott Smith

Re: telnet into old broadcast videohub?

PostSat Mar 17, 2018 1:37 am

I have a Mac mini connected to my broadcast video hub via usb, also connected on our network via Ethernet. On other computers, I telnet into the Mac mini all the time to control the video hub. Works very well.

You will need two separate server computers, one for each videohub, and each with a different IP. Any smart panel or master control panel would need to have the IP address of the one you want to control programmed into it, and would only control that one, not both.

Telnet would do both, but not simultaneously in one telnet window. These will always act as two separate routers, and need seperate controlling. I imagine you could open two terminal windows, and run telnet in each, pointing to the two IP addresses, and send commands to each in quick succession.
Scott R Smith
BMD Stuff I use: ATEM 2-M/E, 4 x ATEM PS 4K, Broadcast Videohub, 6 Hyperdeck Pros, 4 Hyperdeck Shuttles, Multidock, Smartscope Duo, Smartview, Intensity Extreme, Decklink Studio, and lots of Miniconverters and Open Gear Converters.

Scott Smith

PostSat Mar 17, 2018 1:49 am

When dealing with lots of input and output names on a large router, telnet is the only way to go. You can figure out your naming conventions, type them all out, get your setup formatted the way you like, and then send all the names at once.

I have quite a few of the control panels that users use to control the router on a regular basis, but I use the telnet all the time for salvos and maintainence.
Scott R Smith
BMD Stuff I use: ATEM 2-M/E, 4 x ATEM PS 4K, Broadcast Videohub, 6 Hyperdeck Pros, 4 Hyperdeck Shuttles, Multidock, Smartscope Duo, Smartview, Intensity Extreme, Decklink Studio, and lots of Miniconverters and Open Gear Converters.

Scott Smith

PostSat Mar 17, 2018 1:50 am

Wish they still sold the old broadcast 144x72. I assume you found them used? How much?
Scott R Smith

MambaFiber.com

PostMon Mar 19, 2018 1:40 pm

there is a couple of broadcast hubs on fleabay for less than $4k... I bought one last year for about that cost. it has 4 dead outputs out of 144, the common failure on these to look out for. other than that it works fine. project canceled so I haven't put it into use yet.

btw I have a 288 frame (no crosspoint or cards) I'll let go for cheap :-)

wondering how you plan on using the 2 smaller unit together. you do realize it won't work as a 144x288 right? best you could hope for is 72x216, routing the first unit's 72 inputs to 72 outputs to feed the second frame inputs...and as Scott pointed out any control panel or telnet would only have access to one frame's outputs-not both. since you are planning custom control software prob not an issue. would love to hear about your final solution.
Greg Bellotte - owner
MambaFiber.com
FaceBook.com/MambaFiber

Zack Pittman

PostTue Mar 20, 2018 12:16 am

MambaFiber.com wrote:there is a couple of broadcast hubs on fleabay for less than $4k... I bought one last year for about that cost. it has 4 dead outputs out of 144, the common failure on these to look out for. other than that it works fine. project canceled so I haven't put it into use yet.

btw I have a 288 frame (no crosspoint or cards) I'll let go for cheap :-)

wondering how you plan on using the 2 smaller unit together. you do realize it won't work as a 144x288 right? best you could hope for is 72x216, routing the first unit's 72 inputs to 72 outputs to feed the second frame inputs...and as Scott pointed out any control panel or telnet would only have access to one frame's outputs-not both. since you are planning custom control software prob not an issue. would love to hear about your final solution.

Luckily I only have a base of about 40 inputs that have to be distributed to both, and that will be done with OpenGear DA cards, and then each router would have about 25 more inputs that dont need to be shared with both routers. Its walking a tight wire, but as long as the client doesn't throw massive curve balls, we will be able to pull it off.... or maybe BM will come up with enough stock to overnight within the next 2-3 days :)

Return to Live Production