Using HyperDeck Mini for graphics

Questions about ATEM Switchers, Camera Converter and everything live!
  • Author

jpbooth

Using HyperDeck Mini for graphics

PostMon Mar 19, 2018 1:43 pm

I purchased a Hyperdeck Mini for playing back lower thirds with alpha channels. I saw a youtube video explaining that it is possible and he used Adobe Premiere to do it. Only to find that apparently you have to have a mac or something to do it. I've searched the forums and the whole wide interwebz for assistance. Up till now lurking these forums have proven invaluable to me in setting up my new BMD control room. So I come to you guys with my final hiccup before our first live shoot tomorrow evening:

1) Am I correct that to play a file back in the Hyperdeck Mini with an alpha channel, it has to be in ProRes 444?
2) Do I connect both Hyperdeck Mini outputs to two channels on the ATEM 1 M/E and use the two channels as the key and fill?
3) Is there anyway way at all to create a ProRes 444 file using a Windows PC and Adobe Premiere Pro (or any program in the Adobe Production Suite)?

AndyMcHardy

Re: Using HyperDeck Mini for graphics

PostMon Mar 19, 2018 4:41 pm

1) You need ProRes 4444 for the alpha

2) Yes you use one channel for Fill and another for Key.

3) Can't help too much with this one as I am a Mac user myself but I suspect someone else will be along shortly with a better answer.
Flypack 1: ATEM 1M/E 4K | Studio Converter | Camera Converter | Hyperdeck Studio Pro | 12x12 Cleanswitch | SmartScope Duo 4K | Teranex 2D
Flypack 2: ATEM TVS HD | Hyperdeck Studio Mini | SmartView Duo
Office: ATEM Mini

Dave Del Vecchio

PostWed Mar 21, 2018 2:15 am

On Windows, the Adobe suite (including Premiere and After Effects) support ProRes decoding but not ProRes encoding, in part due to licensing reasons.

There are only a few programs that are officially licensed by Apple for ProRes encoding on Windows. These include Assimilate Scratch, The Foundry Nuke, and Blackmagic Fusion Studio (starting with version 9). Of these, Fusion Studio is probably the least expensive option.

There are also some unlicensed ProRes encoders that run on Windows, including ffmpeg, but since these are not officially licensed implementations of the codec, it's possible that there could be some compatibility issues with playing back the ProRes files they generate.

jpbooth

PostWed Mar 21, 2018 1:53 pm

Thank you both very much for the replies. A quick follow up... If I create a animated lower third in an Adobe product and then render it out as an .avi with an alpha channel, is it as simple as dropping it into Fusion 9 and rendering it out again as a ProRes + Alpha channel? Or will I have to create the whole graphic in Fusion 9 to begin with.

Return to Live Production