Atem Talkback Converter 4K improved functionality

Questions about ATEM Switchers, Camera Converter and everything live!
  • Author

Clive Haycock

Atem Talkback Converter 4K improved functionality

PostMon Mar 19, 2018 5:46 pm

Hi all,
I would really like BMD to update the firmware on the Talkback Converter 4K to improve its functionality as at present its use seems pretty limited.
To illustrate what i mean I'll explain giving details of the BMD kit we bought about 10 months ago & how I was expecting it to work.
1/ 3 off Ursa Mini Pro & 3 Studio Micro cameras
2/ Atem 2 M/E Broadcast switcher
3/ Atem Talkback Converter 4K
Also various other BMD items such as a VideoHub but these aren't relevant to my problem with the Talkback Converter
I have all the kit installed in a a few 19" flightcases to make it portable if necessary & the idea was to use the converter as a way for the engineer to talk to the cameras as well as distributing PGM out to all the return feeds of the cameras & seeing that the Atem Switcher had analogue talkback in & out connections use these to interface our 3rd party 4-wire talkback system for director, sound person etc. to talk to the cameras but I soon discovered that you can't use the switcher talkback connections if you also use the talkback converter as it strips off any embedded audio from its PGM I/P!! The only way to interface an external talkback system is to use an embedder to input the analogue output of the external system into one of the 8 camera inputs on the converter as it doesn't have any analogue inputs itself.
We are now thinking of purchasing 3 sets of the recently announce fibre units for the Ursa's to make cabling them up much easier as well as being able to run greater distances on SMPTE fibre than is possible on coax cable & these fiber units will support a seperate engineering talkback channel on channels 13/14 with a future firmware update. I know that I could use the analogue talkback connections via the D connector on the studio end of the fiber converters but still need embedded talkback for the Micro Studio cameras.
In order not to junk the talkback converter & replace it with a simple DA to distribute programme I think the firmware needs to be updated on the converter to offer the following options:
1/ Allow the talkback put onto channels 15/16 of the SDI signal from the analogue talkback input/output on the Atem switcher to pass through the Atem Talkback Converter 4K rather than being stripped off like it is now or give an option in the software control of it to allow it through or not.
This would allow be not to have to use the messy solution using embedders & de-embedders.
2/ Also add an option for the Talkback Converter to communicate over channels 13/14 from its front panel switches so it could be used for the engineering talkback. Again I think there would need to be an option in the software for this to communicate over channels 15/16 as it does at present and/or with channels 13/14 so end users have the most flexibility depending on their particular needs.
Apologies for very longwinded post but I thought the more detail I gave the better so hopefully it all makes sense & would be grateful for other users thoughts on this upgrade

Many thanks

Clive

Xtreemtec

Re: Atem Talkback Converter 4K improved functionality

PostTue Mar 20, 2018 10:08 am

I have opted this 2 years ago because indeed the Fiber converter does strip off the Audio and substitude it with it's own..

For most users no problem.. But for use a big issue.. ;)

I hope they will fix this some time that you can choose from the software to kill the internal embedded audio to allow the audio to come from the mixer.. ;)

So +10!!!
Daniel Wittenaar .:: Xtreemtec Media Productions ::. -= www.xtreemtec.nl =-
4K OBV Trailer, ATEM TVS HD, 4M/E Broadcast Studio 4K, Constelation 8K, Hyperdeck Studio 12G, Ursa Broadcast 4K, 4K fiber converters with Sony Control

Return to Live Production