Videohub rs422 use for audio?

Questions about ATEM Switchers, Camera Converter and everything live!
  • Author

Scott Smith

Videohub rs422 use for audio?

PostTue Mar 20, 2018 3:07 am

Many times, you can treat rs232 and rs422 data as if it were analog audio (unbalanced and balanced, respectively). Does anyone know if the data ports for routing rs422 on the older broadcast video hub or the universal videohub can actually be used for audio? The idea is basically flipping the script on treating data as audio, and instead, treating audio as data. Anyone ever try this on a videohub? Would it work?
Scott R Smith
BMD Stuff I use: ATEM 2-M/E, 4 x ATEM PS 4K, Broadcast Videohub, 6 Hyperdeck Pros, 4 Hyperdeck Shuttles, Multidock, Smartscope Duo, Smartview, Intensity Extreme, Decklink Studio, and lots of Miniconverters and Open Gear Converters.

MambaFiber.com

Re: Videohub rs422 use for audio?

PostTue Mar 20, 2018 5:46 am

I would not expect this to work. serial data is basically 2 voltage states, audio-well it varies much more than 2 steps. but I'd like to know the outcome from anyone who tries...
Greg Bellotte - owner
MambaFiber.com
FaceBook.com/MambaFiber

Xtreemtec

PostTue Mar 20, 2018 9:50 am

What Greg says.. The drivers that are behind the 422 ports are nowhere near capable of running a analog signal.. They expect 0 and 1.. High and Low..

So i don't know were you get the idea from to treat rs232 and rs422 as analog audio??? :?

Sure you can run 232 trough a XLR cable.. But you can run 240V also trough a XLR cable.. Not that is is recomended.. :lol:
Daniel Wittenaar .:: Xtreemtec Media Productions ::. -= www.xtreemtec.nl =-
4K OBV Trailer, ATEM TVS HD, 4M/E Broadcast Studio 4K, Constelation 8K, Hyperdeck Studio 12G, Ursa Broadcast 4K, 4K fiber converters with Sony Control

Scott Smith

PostTue Mar 20, 2018 12:37 pm

I am old school broadcast. We would run rs422 on all kinds of stuff, including analog audio DAs. We put it onto audio subcarriers on our studio to transmitter links and returns to perform remote control of the transmitter site. We used it this way for Doppler radar data. It was an extremely flexible data format that lent itself to audio gear very well. So, years of experience actually doing it. There is little difference in that and the way people may add timecode onto an audio channel.

But I have just no idea if it works well the other way around.
Scott R Smith
BMD Stuff I use: ATEM 2-M/E, 4 x ATEM PS 4K, Broadcast Videohub, 6 Hyperdeck Pros, 4 Hyperdeck Shuttles, Multidock, Smartscope Duo, Smartview, Intensity Extreme, Decklink Studio, and lots of Miniconverters and Open Gear Converters.

Xtreemtec

PostTue Mar 20, 2018 1:04 pm

Well in the videohubs and all other digital hardware of today.. There are RS422/485 drivers (SN75176, SN65HVD179) that expect a negative and positive (Balanced) digital signal. The scriminate above level x is a 1, below that level is a 0.
This makes it easy to move this data trough the digital domain.. :)

So if you put audio on these receivers.. It will do nothing or give some jitter 0/1 strings.. But it is absolutely no audio data.. ;)

It might have worked in the old analog days were they used transitors as drivers.. But in todays world the chips we and most hardware developers around the world are standard chipsets that have 1 job.. 8-)
4K OBV Trailer, ATEM TVS HD, 4M/E Broadcast Studio 4K, Constelation 8K, Hyperdeck Studio 12G, Ursa Broadcast 4K, 4K fiber converters with Sony Control

Scott Smith

PostTue Mar 20, 2018 1:12 pm

I suspect you are right. It’s why I asked. Thanks.
Scott R Smith

Xtreemtec

PostTue Mar 20, 2018 1:58 pm

Scott Smith wrote:I suspect you are right. It’s why I asked. Thanks.

No problem Scott, That is why we are here as community :D To help and advice others.

Scott Smith

PostTue Mar 20, 2018 2:38 pm

Also, I will add that it was late at night after a couple of beers when I wrote the original question. Not much effort was put forth in thinking it through before posting. :?
Scott R Smith

Return to Live Production