Good Screen Projector that integrates with ATEM 1 M/E switch

Questions about ATEM Switchers, Camera Converter and everything live!
  • Author

genemorris

Good Screen Projector that integrates with ATEM 1 M/E switch

PostTue Mar 20, 2018 8:33 pm

Hi Guys,

I'm building out a fancy classroom that's going to make use of a Atem 1 M/E production studio 4k switcher, the advanced panel controller, probably the ATEM camera Controller and 3 Blackmagic URSA Broadcast cameras.

In the past I used to just point a camera directly at the projector screen. It works, but it's not professional enough, so looking to integrate a decent projector into the mix that will pipe into the switcher without any trouble.

I honestly don't know if this can be done without some kind of splitter box near the projectors input. But can anyone recommend a projector that might be able to support blackmagic right out of the box? It would be nice to pipe the signal into the projector and then pipe it right back out into my switcher.

Thanks in advance,
Gene

James Muscat

Re: Good Screen Projector that integrates with ATEM 1 M/E sw

PostWed Mar 21, 2018 3:42 pm

Short answer: I don't think you're going to find what you're looking for.

Longer answer:

You give a list of the equipment you're going to use, but not what specifically you want to use it for. That does sound like a very fancy classroom, I'll grant!

A projector is an output device, but you want to use it as an input device somehow? I suspect that means what you actually want is to have whatever's feeding the projector a signal (what this is isn't clear from your post) go into the video switcher. So, do it that way around.

Maybe you'll be more fruitful if you can pivot the problem: have all your video sources go into the ATEM, and then take outputs from that to drive the projector and whatever else you had in mind?

dpictMEDIA

PostWed Mar 21, 2018 4:09 pm

The way I understand your post is that you need to use the content on the projector (maybe powerpoint from a laptop) as a source for your "live production" ( the broadcast you switch with your ATEM ) If so, a simple HDMI splitter will do the job, send one to the projector and one to the ATEM switcher - Always keeping in mind that all of your inputs into the ATEM must be the same format. ( 1920 x 1080 59.94i ) for example. Also you will not have good luck with HDMI past 15 feet in length. Lots of signal conversion info is available to make the switch to hdSDI for longer signal runs..
Aric Mackey

genemorris

PostWed Mar 21, 2018 8:06 pm

Thanks for the reply guys. I thought about things a little bit more and realized that I just need to experiment and see what works best. I appreciate your time.

Gene

Return to Live Production