SOLVED! X-keys to Atem, Beaglebone Black controller

Questions about ATEM Switchers, Camera Converter and everything live!
  • Author

Alexander Kinov

SOLVED! X-keys to Atem, Beaglebone Black controller

PostWed Mar 28, 2018 7:28 am

Hi all, I posted similar topic a while ago, and I see some other similar ones, but none of them gives me proper answer, so I decided to start a new one. Hope it is ok.

We have 2 ATEM switchers (ATEM Television Studio HD and ATEM 1M/E Production studio 4k)
Both are controlled by the ATEM software app. Also we have X-keys 124 t-bar controller. I connect it to the switchers in two ways - JustMacros app (where I program the behavior of all the keys the way I want them to work) and also small blackbox-controller with few different connectors. The controller is easier to use when working on field, because sometimes I can't be bothered with installing laptop and doing all the connections.
However, the controller is not properly programmed. The first 8 input keys (for PGM and Preview) work fine, most of the other keys have strange behavior (like pressing one button turns on the lights on another one, or pressing input 7 calls input 9), which is a problem. So I need to find a way to reprogram that controller. A while ago someone mentioned it here that this is probably Arduino micro controller, but I couldn't find information on my device. Now I connected it to my computer and it recognized it as "BeagleBone Black" device. I google it and found these are some small computers, that can be used for different operations. When I look at the pictures on internet about this device, they look exactly the same (and also the circuit board looks the same).
So I guess this device is just some sort of platform, used with additional software (or something like that), that controls the way the Xkeys buttons affect the ATEM switcher. But right now I can't find any information about any software or a way to reprogram the device. Few days ago I worked with the mobile broadcasting system of another company - they have the same switchers in the van and the same X-keys device. The controller between the X-keys and ATEM switchers is also the same like mine, but it works properly, so the engineer of the van said maybe mine is not properly programmed.

I'm thankful for any information and advises on that matter.
Last edited by Alexander Kinov on Sat May 05, 2018 6:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Tom_Bassford

Re: X-keys to Atem, Beaglebone Black controller

PostWed Mar 28, 2018 8:16 am

Where did you get this beaglebone based controller from?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
http://www.atemuser.com
if it was easy it wouldn't be called engineering

Alexander Kinov

PostWed Mar 28, 2018 8:30 am

Tom_Bassford wrote:Where did you get this beaglebone based controller from?

Company installed the equipment at our TV studio and installed also this device. But it was before I started working on this job and currently we have no contact with this company. So I have no idea.

Xtreemtec

PostWed Mar 28, 2018 7:28 pm

Well i guess that company made a custom controller that they sell.. You are not going to get it programmed from scratch without putting a lot of hours into it.

So my best guess is to track down that company and ask them to fix this. Or completly go new and work something out yourselfs with an Arduino and Skaarhoj lib.
Daniel Wittenaar .:: Xtreemtec Media Productions ::. -= www.xtreemtec.nl =-
4K OBV Trailer, ATEM TVS HD, 4M/E Broadcast Studio 4K, Constelation 8K, Hyperdeck Studio 12G, Ursa Broadcast 4K, 4K fiber converters with Sony Control

Tom_Bassford

PostWed Mar 28, 2018 8:10 pm

Maybe if you post a photo of it then someone might be able to help better?

Fornez

PostThu Mar 29, 2018 2:50 am

I have an X-keys 80 and for that I downloaded a software from the pi engineering website http://xkeys.com/PISupport/Software.php

and programmed it myself. If the x-keys 124 connects to your computer then you shouldn't need any external device to control the ATEM software. The softwares you download can program the hardware to always function a certain way.

Alexander Kinov

PostThu Mar 29, 2018 5:13 am

Tom_Bassford wrote:Maybe if you post a photo of it then someone might be able to help better
20171111_213108.jpg
20171111_213108.jpg (425.19 KiB) Viewed 3827 times
20171111_213050.jpg
20171111_213050.jpg (405.25 KiB) Viewed 3827 times

Fornez wrote:If the x-keys 124 connects to your computer then you shouldn't need any external device to control the ATEM software. The softwares you download can program the hardware to always function a certain way.

I use JustMacros and I'm happy with it. My problem is I want to make the system simple, without having to deal with laptop every time (except for the extra functions of the ATEM switcher, which I don't use so often). It will be much easier to install the Beaglebone contriller inside my rack case along with all the equipment, and when I turn on the power, the system is ready to go. At the moment, when I turn on the power, the system is not ready, I have to prepare the laptop, connect it to the switcher, connect it to the Xkeys, load JM. Sometimes I just don't have enough working space when working on field, so I want to make my system easy to control, even without using software app.

Alexander Kinov

PostThu Mar 29, 2018 5:32 am

Xtreemtec wrote:Well i guess that company made a custom controller that they sell.. You are not going to get it programmed from scratch without putting a lot of hours into it.

So, you say there is no way to "get inside" this black box and at least try to understand how it is programmed?
I have a wild guess. One of the connectors on the box looks like mini HDMI (can't be 100% sure, cause I used that type of connector just once). It makes me think maybe the device is some sort of computer and I can connect it to some monitor and I can see...I don't know, operating system, menu, software?

Xtreemtec wrote:So my best guess is to track down that company and ask them to fix this. Or completly go new and work something out yourselfs with an Arduino and Skaarhoj lib.

Well, it sounds like a good idea, cause I will program the keys exactly the way I want them to work. I'm familiar already with Skaarhoj, but do you have any advice about Arduino? What do I need to get and where? Bear in mind, I have some experience with programming. I'm also engineer, but I have no experience with assembling micro computers and controllers from scratch. So I actually need some device that will be ready to work, after connecting all the needed cables. Advise ?

Tom_Bassford

PostThu Mar 29, 2018 7:27 am

In all honesty the best thing is to get an intel NUC or Gigabyte Brix. These will run windows 7 and will run just macros. Set up JM to auto run when the OS loads, and create a macro which shuts the system down (using a 4 button combo press to trigger it). If you have permanent power to the rack then you could even skip this and just leave the computer running.

Xtreemtec

PostThu Mar 29, 2018 9:00 am

Alexander Kinov wrote:Well, it sounds like a good idea, cause I will program the keys exactly the way I want them to work. I'm familiar already with Skaarhoj, but do you have any advice about Arduino? What do I need to get and where? Bear in mind, I have some experience with programming. I'm also engineer, but I have no experience with assembling micro computers and controllers from scratch. So I actually need some device that will be ready to work, after connecting all the needed cables. Advise ?

Well just get a Atmega2560 and a Network shield.. Connect USB and install Arduino.. Download the Skaarhoj lib and put it into the library folder and you can start. Connecting your buttons to the Arduino depends on what buttons and how much volt the LED's need etc..

But for about $40 dollars you can have a board that is talking to the Atem. ;)

The beaglebone website says:
Explore the high-performance, low-power world with the tiny, affordable, open-source Beagles. Putting Android, Ubuntu and other Linux flavors at your fingertips, the Beagle family revs as high as 1GHz with flexible peripheral interfaces and a proven ecosystem of feature-rich "Cape" plug-in boards.
So seams they put Xkeys into linux and might even run the Atem software in there linked to Xkeys.. Would try to hook up a monitor and see what happens.. You might be lucky.. :D
4K OBV Trailer, ATEM TVS HD, 4M/E Broadcast Studio 4K, Constelation 8K, Hyperdeck Studio 12G, Ursa Broadcast 4K, 4K fiber converters with Sony Control

Alexander Kinov

PostSun Apr 01, 2018 8:09 am

Thanks for all the messages so far. I'm traveling back from a field trip right now and right after that I'm going on vacation, so I won't be able to try anything the next 10 days. Still, I will follow the topic if there is something new.

Thanks again.

Alexander Kinov

Re: SOLVED! X-keys to Atem, Beaglebone Black controller

PostSat May 05, 2018 6:45 pm

After some reading and browsing the net I finally found the solution for this problem. It turned out to be really really simple.
I will share the information for anyone out there who might have same/similar device and same/similar problems.

So, what was my problem? My Beaglebone black controller is connected between my Xkeys XKE 124 Tbar keyboard and my ATEM switcher. It is really useful in situations when I can't use laptop and software mapping apps (like Just Macros which I really like). However, the mapping of the BBB controller was wrong, which was giving me huge headache. For example PGM button 1 calls input 5, PGM button 4 calls input 6 and so on.

The solution? Check this link:
https://beagleboard.org/getting-started
The website has also other really useful information for beaglebone users.

How to solve the mapping problem?
Easy. Connect your beaglebone device to your computer by USB cable. I don't know about Mac or older Windows, but Win 7 and Win 10 installed the driver automatically. If not, I guess you can use the website to find the driver you need.
When the driver is installed, the device is recognized as additional network adapter. Knowing/checking the type of your device and checking the website I quoted, you can check the IP address provided by your new network adapter (the BBB). Type the IP address into your web browser and enter. In my case it was http://192.168.7.2/.
There! You enter simple menu that helps you change the mapping for your keyboard, adjust some settings (if needed) and also add/edit some script (if needed).
Changing the mapping is really simple and doesn't require rebooting, which is really useful in live situations where you might need to assign different source to certain button and you might need to do it quick.

Xtreemtec

PostMon May 07, 2018 2:51 pm

Oke, Good to know.. But what software was running on the beagle? Atem Software Control ??

Alexander Kinov

PostMon May 07, 2018 4:11 pm

It's not ATEM software control. It is some simple web based app. I can only open it when the device is connected to my computer (and right now it is in the office). I will check it tomorrow and will make some screenshots.

Alexander Kinov

PostTue May 08, 2018 12:02 pm

Here is a screenshot from the app on my Beaglebone. I don't know anything else.

atem clip.png
atem clip.png (57.27 KiB) Viewed 3265 times

Xtreemtec

PostTue May 08, 2018 12:43 pm

Well i found this out. Stoian Ivanov is someone on this forum. He also made libraries for communication With Atem and with Xkeys..

So i guess he sells them somewhere.. Or somebody uses his code to make a commercial product out of it. ;)

His email adres for support is down there too. 8-)

Return to Live Production