Recording problem with VA4K

Questions about ATEM Switchers, Camera Converter and everything live!
  • Author

Diego Waisman

Recording problem with VA4K

PostMon Apr 02, 2018 1:37 pm

Hello !
Last weekend I was recording and interview with the VA4K. I recorded to one of the recommended SD media (Transcend 64 GB) Before the actual interview I recorded two short test clips while I was getting everything together.
When the interview started, I pressed record on the monitor and saw the time code advanced as usual. I started the interview and several minutes in, I realized that the VA was not updating the time left of the card information. I freaked out. I couldn't stop the recording. The time code kept going and going. I had to remove power from the unit in order to stop it.

I immediately switched memory cards and I was able to re-record the rest of the interview.
After checking the card on my system, I saw that two files were created, but they are very small, I can't open them and not big enough to contain 30 min of 4k footage.

I don't want to have this experience again. Any suggestions ? The media doesn't look as compromised.

I'm running VA4k latest firmware update

Xtreemtec

Re: Recording problem with VA4K

PostMon Apr 02, 2018 3:44 pm

Had the same with a Hyperdeck a few times.. On drives that i always use.. But for some reason sometimes recording hangs up and you wont be able to stop recording anymore.. Not much you can do about..

Just test the same card in slot A & B at home and record several clips on it.. It probabbly will work without issues. ;)
Daniel Wittenaar .:: Xtreemtec Media Productions ::. -= www.xtreemtec.nl =-
4K OBV Trailer, ATEM TVS HD, 4M/E Broadcast Studio 4K, Constelation 8K, Hyperdeck Studio 12G, Ursa Broadcast 4K, 4K fiber converters with Sony Control

Diego Waisman

PostWed Apr 04, 2018 2:25 pm

Thank you for the reply Xtreemtec,
Unfortunately it's hard to rely on this monitor recorder if this can randomly occur. I wish someone from Blackmagic Design could clarify what at play here.
IF the timecode is running I assume that the device is recording properly. I'm a little paranoid of using the recorder again without a logical answer.

Thanks for the input.

Xtreemtec

PostThu Apr 05, 2018 9:42 am

That is why we never rely on 1 recorder for all our setups. Always have a 2nd recorder running like a Atomos Shogun
4K OBV Trailer, ATEM TVS HD, 4M/E Broadcast Studio 4K, Constelation 8K, Hyperdeck Studio 12G, Ursa Broadcast 4K, 4K fiber converters with Sony Control

Diego Waisman

PostThu Apr 05, 2018 12:54 pm

Has the Shogun been more reliable ?
unfortunately I can't justify a second recorded for the type of work I do.

I appreciate your feedback Xtreemtec

Denny Smith

PostThu Apr 05, 2018 4:38 pm

I use the PixE and Pix 220, both are very reliable, never had an issue while recording.
Cheers
Denny Smith
SHA Productions

Xtreemtec

PostFri Apr 06, 2018 1:44 pm

Atomos do serve me very well.. Only once did it overheat.. But that was due too a plastic cover that was over it to protect it from the rain.. ;)

Return to Live Production