No Signal from Kramer Scaler into Production Studio 4K

Questions about ATEM Switchers, Camera Converter and everything live!
  • Author

jackwilcox

PostMon Apr 02, 2018 6:32 pm

I am trying to get s signal off of a Kramer Switcher Scaler VP-728 into my ATEM Production Studio 4K. For testing purposes, I just have a laptop as the input source for the Kramer. No matter what I try, I cannot get anything other than a black screen on the ATEM. I have read a lot of forums with other people having similar issues, and it almost always comes down to a mismatched resolution between the two devices. But I have set the output resolution of the scaler to match the ATEM switcher. In this case, I have it set to 720p 59.94. But I have tried other resolutions as well and no matter what I cannot get a signal. When I plug the output of the Kramer into a tv, I instantly get a signal. Also, if I plug the output of the Kramer directly into my BM Hyperdeck Studio 12G recorder, I also get a signal. And the display on the Hyperdeck confirms that the resolution is 720p 59.94. I have updated the Kramer to the latest firmware. I have tried every setting I can think of. And nothing seems to work. Has anyone else experienced this and got it to work? Would something like a Decimator inline solve the issue?

Xtreemtec

Re: No Signal from Kramer Scaler into Production Studio 4K

PostMon Apr 02, 2018 8:07 pm

If the decimator sees the Kramer scaler.. (which i guess it does) It will solve your issue. ;)
Daniel Wittenaar .:: Xtreemtec Media Productions ::. -= www.xtreemtec.nl =-
4K OBV Trailer, ATEM TVS HD, 4M/E Broadcast Studio 4K, Constelation 8K, Hyperdeck Studio 12G, Ursa Broadcast 4K, 4K fiber converters with Sony Control

jackwilcox

PostMon Apr 02, 2018 8:58 pm

I don't have a decimator to try and I didn't really want to spend the $300 just to test it out. Since a tv and my HyperDeck both see the image from the scaler, could I pretty safely assume that the decimator would as well? Any other solutions that anyone has come across other than a decimator? Any thoughts on why the picture would not be coming through? I have seen some posts about possible color space or chroma sampling issues? I don't really understand all that. If something like that is the case, would the decimator still fix the issue?

Tobias Dieterich

PostTue Apr 03, 2018 3:29 pm

Try to disable HDCP in the Kramer.

Sent from my MI 5s using Tapatalk
Tobias Dieterich | T.D. Video Engineering | www.tdvideo.de

video and embedded software engineer
ready for SMPTE ST 2110

Gary Adams

Blackmagic Design

PostTue Apr 03, 2018 3:52 pm

It would seem the Kramer would work if you see it on the Hyperdeck. You could test by connecting the Hyperdeck output to the ATEM and see if it works in EE mode. If not either the Kramer is more to 60 than 59.94 which won’t work. Or the stability of the signal is out of tolerance with the ATEM. Laptops are often 60 Hz which will not work converted to SDI. It would not be HDCP or the Hyperdeck will not see it either.

Regards. Gary
Gary Adams
Blackmagic Design

Kevin Grant

PostTue Apr 03, 2018 4:55 pm

I use that exact same Kramer scaler. I also have the same problem. HDMI out to the ATEM has never been recognized by the switcher regardless of resolution. I put a Blackmagic HDMI to SDI converter between the two and it works just fine. Don't ask me why......it's still a mystery.
Kevin Grant
Media Services Supervisor
Edgar Cayce's A.R.E. - Virginia Beach ,VA

ATEM 1 M/E 4K
Ultra-Studio Mini Recorder
H.264 Pro Recorder
Hyperdeck Studio
Bunch of Mini Converters

jackwilcox

PostTue Apr 03, 2018 6:49 pm

Tobias Dieterich wrote:Try to disable HDCP in the Kramer.

Tobias, I have tried disabling HDCP and it did not help. Kramer tech support does not believe it is an HDCP issue.

Gary Adams wrote:You could test by connecting the Hyperdeck output to the ATEM and see if it works in EE mode.

Gary, interesting suggestion for testing purposes. I haven't tried taking the output of the Hyperdeck into the ATEM to see if it sees it. Will try that when I get a chance. Not sure what to do if it does, but could at least be interesting to see what happens.

Kevin Grant wrote:I use that exact same Kramer scaler. I also have the same problem. HDMI out to the ATEM has never been recognized by the switcher regardless of resolution. I put a Blackmagic HDMI to SDI converter between the two and it works just fine. Don't ask me why......it's still a mystery.

Interesting, Kevin. And glad to have found someone in the same boat. In my actual installation, I do have an hdmi to sdi converter inline. It is not Blackmagic brand, so that could be an issue. But for troubleshooting purposes, I have set up a reduced test case where I have eliminated all extra converters and cabling and I am going straight from the Kramer to the ATEM with HDMI. I figured that if I can't get a signal directly from the scaler, then I need to solve that before I can troubleshoot any further down the line. I know someone with some BlackMagic HDMI to SDI converters that I can borrow. I will try to start there and see if that works. Thanks for the suggestion. If it works, it would be cheaper than a Decimator.

Tobias Dieterich

PostWed Apr 04, 2018 1:17 am

I also have a Kramer VP-728 and used it with the original 1 M/E in 720p50. Never had problems, but didn't try it with the later models. But I don't remember if you have to select output color space to be YUV or if I always converted to SDI first.
Tobias Dieterich | T.D. Video Engineering | www.tdvideo.de

video and embedded software engineer
ready for SMPTE ST 2110

roger.suski

PostWed Apr 04, 2018 1:35 am

Funny thing with the VP-728. If you put the resolution to a "video" resolution, the analog component outputs automatically switch to YUV away from RGB. Handy...but if you're not expecting it, can be frustrating. Especially if you also use the unit for typical laptop/projector uses.

Add me to the list of people that have had trouble with using the VP-728 as a scaler to get into the HDMI port of an ATEM. I *thought* I had the magic formula, but I've slept since then, and it just wasn't worth it.

Yeah, if you put an MD-HX between the VP and the ATEM, even if you don't do any scaling, joy.

jackwilcox

PostMon Apr 09, 2018 8:05 pm

roger.suski wrote:If you put the resolution to a "video" resolution

What are you referring to as a "video" resolution?

I was able to borrow a Blackmagic HDMI to SDI converter and put it between the Kramer and the ATEM and I got it to work - sort of. It only worked if I selected a resolution of "720p 59.94" on the Kramer. If I chose "1280x720 59.94" on the Kramer it did not work. Those would appear to be the same to me, but obviously they are somehow different. Is the "1280x720 59.94" not considered a "video" resolution. Is it interlaced instead of progressive? Just trying to work out why one worked and the other didn't. While it did work to successfully send the signal to the ATEM, the issue I had with it was that the computer monitor I have attached to the Kramer could not handle the "720p 59.94". It made the colors all green-tinted. But it took the "1280x720 59.94" just fine. Again, just trying to understand the differences in those two resolutions as far as the Kramer is concerned.

It is looking more and more like I will need a Decimator to make this work. My hope this that that will allow me to use the Kramer at whatever resolution is best for the monitor/projectors that will be hooked up to it and configure/scale that signal to an appropriate resolution for my ATEM.

Xtreemtec

PostMon Apr 09, 2018 8:27 pm

Sound like the Kramer does RGB and YUV.. The 1280x720 comes in a list with also 1024x768 and others i guess??

Whill 720P comes next to 1080p? Then the latter are 'Video" And so YUV instead of RGB..

I have a very good feeling the Decimator will solve your issues..

The brand new just announced UpDownCross HD might do the trick too.. But nobody has expierence with that one yet as it is shipping as of today..
4K OBV Trailer, ATEM TVS HD, 4M/E Broadcast Studio 4K, Constelation 8K, Hyperdeck Studio 12G, Ursa Broadcast 4K, 4K fiber converters with Sony Control

jackwilcox

PostMon Apr 09, 2018 8:58 pm

Xtreemtec wrote:The brand new just announced UpDownCross HD might do the trick too

Interesting. I had not seen that yet. Seems to be BlackMagic's version of (or answer to) the Decimator. Makes sense that they would offer a product like this. I was surprised that they did not have one up to this point. The price looks good. Might be worth the investment to try it out. Just having trouble finding it to buy online right now. I don't see it on B&H yet.

Xtreemtec

PostTue Apr 10, 2018 6:20 am

Because they just announced it a few hours ago. Takes a day or 2 to appart in the webshops. Even ook like B&H don’t know what is coming until BMD presents it to the world.

1 word of caution. I don’t see RGB color space mentioned in the specs. So it could Be a issue that it doesnt convert color space. Which you might need.. the box is toooo New too tell.

Return to Live Production