Standards conversion

Questions about ATEM Switchers, Camera Converter and everything live!
  • Author

Chris.Derksen

Standards conversion

PostWed Apr 04, 2018 4:48 pm

When we bought the Item 1 M/E we had read on the BMD website "The advanced ATEM 1 M/E Production Studio 4K model switches between SD, HD or Ultra HD video standards so you can connect a wide range of video sources such as cameras, disk recorders and computers. " We assumed this meant that we could hook up SD sources as well as HD sources and they would all work. However, this is not the case. Every input has to be matched exactly to the same standard or it does not work. We have a 1080P 60Hz camera that we have to connect at 1080i 59.95Hz since that's the highest our computer will connect at. We also have an SD 540p camera that won't connect with everything else, even though we've converted the RCA A/V to SDI (which works fine on all our other systems, just not the BMD Atem). Anyone have any ideas? Am I just missing a setting somewhere? (I am running software version 7.3)

Andrew Martin

Re: Standards conversion

PostWed Apr 04, 2018 6:52 pm

Welcome to the world of BMD marketing, where every statement has a double meaning.. in this case meaning you can chose to set up the switcher for an SD workflow a hd workflow or a uhd workflow.

:)

Scott Smith

PostWed Apr 04, 2018 7:19 pm

Yeah, everything has to be converted to the same format, and that format has to be an industry standard format.
Scott R Smith
BMD Stuff I use: ATEM 2-M/E, 4 x ATEM PS 4K, Broadcast Videohub, 6 Hyperdeck Pros, 4 Hyperdeck Shuttles, Multidock, Smartscope Duo, Smartview, Intensity Extreme, Decklink Studio, and lots of Miniconverters and Open Gear Converters.

Chris.Derksen

PostWed Apr 04, 2018 7:22 pm

It must be that BMD converts all of their website language from Chinese into English or something. What they have written makes it pretty clear that the box handles the different inputs simultaneously. But according to BMD, this is the "broadcast standard" for units like the Atem, which it may be, but the language is not Broadcast Standard, it's flagrantly deceptive.

For those of us in smaller venues where this isn't everything we eat and breath, this is confusing. It's expensive enough to get the unit, but now to have to get a pile of expensive standards converters is even more frustrating and prohibitive. Oh well, time to move on. ;)

Jack Fairley

PostWed Apr 04, 2018 10:50 pm

Chris.Derksen wrote:It's expensive enough to get the unit, but now to have to get a pile of expensive standards converters is even more frustrating and prohibitive.

I would spend the money on HD-SDI cameras, rather than converters.
Ryzen 5800X3D
32GB DDR4-3600
RTX 3090
DeckLink 4K Extreme 12G
Resolve Studio 17.4.1
Windows 11 Pro 21H2

Denny Smith

PostThu Apr 05, 2018 2:21 am

Yes, get a set of matching cameras, like the BM Micro Studios, if you want small cameras, or the new Ursa Broadcast, that can quickly use B4 Zoom lenses. Then you can march the video output of the cameras. What you are trying to use now is such a wide miss match, you are not going to get a matched signal IQ wise or consistent color balance look.
Cheers
Denny Smith
SHA Productions

Xtreemtec

PostThu Apr 05, 2018 9:19 am

Chris.Derksen wrote:For those of us in smaller venues where this isn't everything we eat and breath, this is confusing. It's expensive enough to get the unit, but now to have to get a pile of expensive standards converters is even more frustrating and prohibitive. Oh well, time to move on. ;)

The manual is very clear on this matter. If i'm buying a piece of equipment and the manual is freely online available i first check the manual to check if a device can do what i intend to do with it, ;)

Also most other HD video mixers all require you to input the same framerate and resolution for it to work..
Daniel Wittenaar .:: Xtreemtec Media Productions ::. -= www.xtreemtec.nl =-
4K OBV Trailer, ATEM TVS HD, 4M/E Broadcast Studio 4K, Constelation 8K, Hyperdeck Studio 12G, Ursa Broadcast 4K, 4K fiber converters with Sony Control

Andrew Martin

PostSat Apr 07, 2018 9:37 am

As Daniel says above plus... There's a shite ton of posts here that echo urs. So it's well known throughout the forum.. which agn is somewhere I visit, if a manufacturer has one to research any new equipment I'm interested in buying to seewhatitsusersare saying abt it or any failings it might have.

Xtreemtec

PostMon Apr 09, 2018 7:02 pm

BTW since today you can.. All scaling inputs between 720P and 2160P..
https://www.blackmagicdesign.com/products/atemtelevisionstudio/techspecs/W-APS-11

But you could also use the Mini Converter UpDownCross HD
For $155 the problem is solved.. ;)
4K OBV Trailer, ATEM TVS HD, 4M/E Broadcast Studio 4K, Constelation 8K, Hyperdeck Studio 12G, Ursa Broadcast 4K, 4K fiber converters with Sony Control

Denny Smith

PostMon Apr 09, 2018 9:07 pm

Or get the new 4K switcher for $2995 and get 8 SDI scalable inputs :!:
Cheers
Denny Smith
SHA Productions

Andrew Martin

PostMon Apr 09, 2018 9:23 pm

Let's hope the new scaling inputs is something that will echo through all their new and upcoming Atem product range as they become available.. it's great and about time they did this.

Xtreemtec

PostTue Apr 10, 2018 6:17 am

Denny Smith wrote:Or get the new 4K switcher for $2995 and get 8 SDI scalable inputs :!:
Cheers

:lol: :lol: denny did you read my post. That was the first suggestion.. :lol:

Well Im not Sure you want this feature to Go in all atems. Sure it is handy. And can solve a lot of issues. But don’t forget scaling introducés delay. Delay you don’t want into a proffesional broadcast enviroment.
So only if they make a control on that So you can disable that function for Some ports. So your camera’s for iMag has the least delay possible. Yes that would Be Great. Or even the posibility to just have 4 sdi inputs that can scale and the others just run the resolution and framerate.

We already have atems with build in framebuffer But since start of the Atem 7 years back. We still can not tell if the framebuffer is used per Channel (So tour sync is right) or is walking a frame behind due too the frame buffer. This is quite anoying in the broadcast world. And there is no way to turn a framebuffer off partully.

Return to Live Production