Hyperdeck Studio mini RS422 issue

Questions about ATEM Switchers, Camera Converter and everything live!
  • Author

MThygesen

Hyperdeck Studio mini RS422 issue

PostThu Apr 05, 2018 10:23 pm

Hi

I've been using a Hyperdeck Studio mini as a player for a studio background.

The setup is a small TV Studio for recording webinars and doing Live interview's with other TV stations.
The whole thing is built with the end user in mind, which meant automating everything.

For each scenario the background changes, and i use the old Sony RS422 VTR protocol. Recently i upgraded all of the machines, which changed the behaviour of the hyperdeck's Fastforward and Rewind functions. Earlier (v5.1) the fastforward skipped to the next file, and the rewind skipped back. With the new update (v5.3) the behaviour changed, so that the Hyperdeck actually does what the RS422 protocol was supposed to do (fastforward in the clip itself)

This leaves me with a problem, i would like to use the updated firmware due to faster upload via FTP, but i need to be able to skip to next video clip to choose the right videofile.

Is there any other function besides the Fastforward and Rewind (that now actually does what it is supposed to) , in the RS422 protocol that let's me skip forward and backward. Or do i need to keep the Hyperdeck at 5.1 which let's med keep the functionality that i need?
Kind Regards

Mikael

Xtreemtec

Re: Hyperdeck Studio mini RS422 issue

PostFri Apr 06, 2018 6:47 pm

Shoot a ticket to BMD Support. This is a user forum but your question is very related to a issue / change that happend in a Firmware update.. So it is best to contact BMD Support by email and create a ticket for this issue.. ;)
Daniel Wittenaar .:: Xtreemtec Media Productions ::. -= www.xtreemtec.nl =-
4K OBV Trailer, ATEM TVS HD, 4M/E Broadcast Studio 4K, Constelation 8K, Hyperdeck Studio 12G, Ursa Broadcast 4K, 4K fiber converters with Sony Control

Tom_Bassford

PostSat Apr 07, 2018 6:48 am

What are you using to send the commands? Can you not use the ip commands instead. The up protocol is in the hyperdeck manual.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
http://www.atemuser.com
if it was easy it wouldn't be called engineering

Dave Del Vecchio

PostThu Apr 12, 2018 12:14 am

If the clips have unique timecode, you can use the RS-422 cueing commands to cue the deck to the start of each clip. But if that doesn't work for you, you'd probably need to use the HyperDeck ethernet protocol.

As far as I know, the basic RS-422 deck control protocol does not include any clip based commands, as it was originally designed for video tape decks that didn't have the concept of distinct clips. There are various extensions to the basic protocol that different companies have created over the years to better support clip management commands common in file based recorders. But I don't believe the HyperDecks support any of these extensions.

Return to Live Production