Production Studio 4K Fan Noise

Questions about ATEM Switchers, Camera Converter and everything live!
  • Author

Sonzaisuru

Production Studio 4K Fan Noise

PostWed Apr 11, 2018 6:01 pm

Came in this morning to find the Production Studio 4K we are running at this location making a lot of noise. One of the internal fans is either running at full speed or failing, I'm not sure which and won't be able to check till later in the day. It is rack mounted in a large enclose with an open front and back and ~6” free space on either side. Since I just updated the software to 7.4 yesterday is it possible that a change in the code is causing the fan to run fast? Before the update the device was practically silent. If it’s not a known software issue and one of the fans is failing where can I order a replacement? Or is it a standard size pc fan that I can replace with one of the backups I have onsite?

Sonzaisuru

Re: Production Studio 4K Fan Noise

PostThu Apr 12, 2018 5:44 pm

Definitely not a software issue. I opened up the case and plugged it in to test only to find one of the fans had already stopped entirely and the other practically failed in front of me. Grabbed a couple 40mm fans at the local computer supply store and all is good and quiet again. Though I was surprised by just how much heat was generated by the device, you'd think they would put larger vents in it.

Return to Live Production