Multiple BMD Devices - Issues

Questions about ATEM Switchers, Camera Converter and everything live!
  • Author

vidnutter

Multiple BMD Devices - Issues

PostWed Apr 11, 2018 10:10 pm

I am working on a mobile solution for sport capture, and have hit some issues.
I called BMD support and 'all knowledge of what I was trying to do was disavowed...

Essentially I have
1/ Intensity Shuttle - USB 3
2/ Ultrastudio Mini Thunderbolt 3
3/ ultrastudio Mini Thunderbolt 3
all connected to the same laptop
(HP ZBook 17 G4)
(see image attached)
dvs.png
Screen grab from Desktop video
dvs.png (24.15 KiB) Viewed 1320 times

And it works - sometimes..
It keeps coming up with - the Ultrastudio requires an updated driver.
If i install the driver all of the devices stop working (including the intensity Shuttle), however if I dont update the US HD Mini driver, it seems to work okay.

perhaps someone can shed some light on this, as it works sometimes, but not others..

matt.

vidnutter

Re: Multiple BMD Devices - Issues

PostThu Apr 12, 2018 1:47 am

update request...
updatenow.png
updatenow.png (3.67 KiB) Viewed 1259 times

if I update everything stops working...

Xtreemtec

PostThu Apr 12, 2018 10:38 am

That is a lot of data going trough a laptop.. ;) I'm even suprised you get it running with 2 Ultra studio HD connected to Thunderbolt.. ;)

Laptops are portable.. But i haven't seen a lot of people getting a stable working setup with 3 capture devices to them.. People have more luck with an external PCI express box connected to thunderbolt and trow a decent Decklink card into it. ;)
Daniel Wittenaar .:: Xtreemtec Media Productions ::. -= www.xtreemtec.nl =-
4K OBV Trailer, ATEM TVS HD, 4M/E Broadcast Studio 4K, Constelation 8K, Hyperdeck Studio 12G, Ursa Broadcast 4K, 4K fiber converters with Sony Control

vidnutter

PostThu Apr 12, 2018 11:09 am

Xtreemtec wrote:That is a lot of data going trough a laptop.. ;) I'm even suprised you get it running with 2 Ultra studio HD connected to Thunderbolt.. ;)

Laptops are portable.. But i haven't seen a lot of people getting a stable working setup with 3 capture devices to them.. People have more luck with an external PCI express box connected to thunderbolt and trow a decent Decklink card into it. ;)
Throughput doesn't seem to be an issue, just the drivers issues..

HP ZBook g4 is easily powerful enough to cope if the driver problems can be sorted out.

Interesting, later today I plugged an external usb 3 HDD into the laptop, and although there was no driver change for the HDD, it immediately popped up with the prompt to update the ultrastudio he mini driver.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

vidnutter

PostWed Sep 05, 2018 3:01 am

Interesting update.
If I plug in a aja sdi usb3 capture device with the 2 ultrastudio devices, all three work, if the intensity shuttle is plugged in now the all except the aja disappear.

vidnutter

PostMon Oct 29, 2018 8:28 pm

Xtreemtec wrote:That is a lot of data going trough a laptop.. ;) I'm even suprised you get it running with 2 Ultra studio HD connected to Thunderbolt.. ;)

I have upgraded the setup, and at the moment i have 2 ultrastudio devices and 2 u-tap capture devices.
I did consider the idea of going with an external decklink but could not find a small enough case.
Also the ultrastudio and utap devices are powered by the laptop, meaning it can be used in an environment without ac power for at least a cople if hours.

All if the external cases i have seen have a ac power requirement.

Return to Live Production