ATEM Television Studio Pro HD SDI inputs/outputs

Questions about ATEM Switchers, Camera Converter and everything live!
  • Author

tedintexas

ATEM Television Studio Pro HD SDI inputs/outputs

PostThu Apr 12, 2018 10:48 pm

Very new to this and setting up a conference/event space with:

1. ATEM Television Studio Pro HD
2. ATEM Television Studio HD
3. Web Presenter
4. Hyperdeck Studio Pro

The concept is to use 2 Sony HDMI cams, and some assorted other inputs like Chromecast, PC video, the Hyperdeck, and possibly another SDI cam to both present the raw content input to the projectors and monitors in the actual space, and to create an additional streaming, produced output for Skype.

The question I have is around the TV Studio Pro SDI inputs and outputs and what exactly I can do with them in the way of routing the video.

Initially, I'm thinking of using the TV Studio HD to manage inputs other than the cameras, and then bring that mixed SDI output to the TV Studio Pro for mixing in the cameras, then taking either clean content out to the AUX bus for projectors/monitors, and the produced PGM bus to the Web Presenter.

Here's where I need help..

To allow more versatility, I'm wondering if the switcher can act as sort of a matrix switch, and allow mapping the TV Studio HD HDMI 1,2,3,4 inputs to the SDI 5,6,7,8 outputs directly. Then I would take those outputs into the TV Studio Pro SDI 5,6,7,8 inputs and therefore be able to use them as sources separately on that device. Or, are the SDI ins and outs simply a passthru for each, respectively?

I hope that makes a little sense.. again, just starting out here. Thanks for your assistance.

Xtreemtec

Re: ATEM Television Studio Pro HD SDI inputs/outputs

PostFri Apr 13, 2018 11:28 am

Both switchers will not do ANY routing.. And both switchers have only 1 AUX output that you can assign a source on..

So if you would feed cameras in both mixers you already need to split them or put a 20x20 matrix router before them.

You might be better off buying a 2ME mixer.. There you can do 2 sub mixes and have all sources to 1 and the same mixer..

Also be aware that you need all sources to match in resolution and framerate.. Otherwise they wont show up in your mixer. If you have sources that are different you need to put a UpDownCross HD in between to fix them.
Daniel Wittenaar .:: Xtreemtec Media Productions ::. -= www.xtreemtec.nl =-
4K OBV Trailer, ATEM TVS HD, 4M/E Broadcast Studio 4K, Constelation 8K, Hyperdeck Studio 12G, Ursa Broadcast 4K, 4K fiber converters with Sony Control

tedintexas

PostFri Apr 13, 2018 7:02 pm

Other problem to solve -

I don't have my switchers yet, but have been testing with the Hyperdeck. Apparently Chromecast has HDCP protection, so it will not present content of any kind other than a nice green blank screen. I verified that by converting the Chromecast HDMI out to VGA then back to HDMI and it passes fine.

Any good tips or suggestions? The Chromecast is perfect for sharing laptop screens in the presentations.

tedintexas

PostSat Apr 14, 2018 3:08 pm

Would the 4k model be more adept at managing different res/frame rate?

Fornez

PostTue Apr 17, 2018 2:20 am

tedintexas wrote:Would the 4k model be more adept at managing different res/frame rate?

I haven't tested one yet but it almost certainly should. The 4k model can receive any video signal other than sd and then output to whatever you want

It has a teranex standards converter on each input

Andrew Martin

PostTue Apr 17, 2018 8:45 pm

tedintexas wrote:Other problem to solve -

I don't have my switchers yet, but have been testing with the Hyperdeck. Apparently Chromecast has HDCP protection, so it will not present content of any kind other than a nice green blank screen. I verified that by converting the Chromecast HDMI out to VGA then back to HDMI and it passes fine.

Any good tips or suggestions? for sharing laptop screens in the presentations.

Forget the chromecast..... Get urselves a decimator MD-HX it'll give you a passthrough hdmi for feeding ur laptop to the projector and a scalable SDI out that you can match to the Atem's Res & frame rate. Plus is also an incredible versitile converter with many usecases.

tedintexas

PostFri Apr 20, 2018 12:59 am

Andrew Martin wrote:
tedintexas wrote:Other problem to solve -

Any good tips or suggestions? for sharing laptop screens in the presentations.

Forget the chromecast..... Get urselves a decimator MD-HX it'll give you a passthrough hdmi for feeding ur laptop to the projector and a scalable SDI out that you can match to the Atem's Res & frame rate. Plus is also an incredible versitile converter with many usecases.

That's the whole exercise here... Get rid of cables and adapters.

We are an IT/dev shop. Our presentations/webcasts using Skype For Business generally involve more than one presenter in rapid serial fashion, each with their own app, webpage, powerpoint, etc. to show, and they all desperately want to use their own laptops, which can be Macs or PC's of various models and vintage.

Chromecast is agnostic. Invariably, at the last moment the customer wants to include an offsite presenter. I can bring those presenters in over VPN and Crestron AirMedia.

I've already tested the TV Studio Pro with the Crestron and Chromecast. All the Chromecast requires to work is a $17 splitter to bypass the HDCP. That works fine in testing. The main room PC is a Z240 workstation with a couple of HDMI ports. That works with the system as well in testing.

So far I am able to bring in a Chromecast, a Crestron AirMedia, a PC and a Hyperdeck all together with no issues. Waiting on cameras to arrive to see how they play.

We present in an open collaboration space with a couple of 138" screens, and a couple of 70" monitors on the walls. The space can be broken up into three separate sound zones or presentation areas, reconfigured each time for whatever specific event and separated by tall divider/whiteboards.

The idea is to have maybe three Chromecasts available for any presenter to connect and be queued up and ready to go. We can then mix them in without the hassle of cables and adapters.

I am going to get a couple of Decimators for other purposes. Depending on how the Sony cams play along, I'lll either keep the TV Studio Pro or swap it for a 4K model.

Thanks all for your input. It was exciting today to get the thing up and running with four inputs and pushing out over Skype with the BMD Webcaster.

I did, of course, run into the issue with Skype trying to mess up the audio. This has been an ongoing thing over the past few years since they took away the ability to disable the AGC. It's even an issue in Skype Broadcast that Microsoft seems unwilling to acknowledge. I may be able to fix this with a proper audio processor in the chain to narrow down the response since Skype seems to think anything over 5kHz is noise. May also be able to level the audio program out so it doesn't hit the Skype AGC so hard.

Return to Live Production