Building a flyback with 3 cams

Questions about ATEM Switchers, Camera Converter and everything live!
  • Author

scarletandgrey33

Building a flyback with 3 cams

PostFri Apr 13, 2018 7:05 pm

Hello all,

Where I work is looking at upgrading our live streaming equipment for our events outside of our facility. I have been looking at the blackmagic system and the Ross Carbonite solo. We are also very intrigued by the BMD URSA studio with the fiber converters in its ability to connect with the camera controller.
My question is how would I connect the ATEM Camera Control Panel to multiple Studio Fiber units? I see that each rack mount has a single rj45 jack so daisy chaining would not be an option. Would I be able to feed the camera control panel into an unmanaged switch to then feed the studio fiber converters?

Below is a list of equipment we are looking at. I know it is missing a few pieces like a reference generator.

Thank you for you help and insight!

Jeff

FLYPACK:
1: Blackmagic ATEM 2 M/E production studio
1: ATEM Camera Control Panel
1: Blackmagic ATEM 2M/E broadcast Panel
4: Blackmagic HyperDecks Pro 2
4: Blackmagic Studio Fiber converter
1: 1Beyond StreamMachin Studio Pro
2: 27” monitors (1 dedicated for multiviewer and one with A/B for ProP and Stream machine)
1: mac mini for ProP

Cams
3: Blackmagic URSA Broadcast bundle each with the Fiber converter

Cables
Camplex SMPTE hybrid cable (500ft)

nmsoundengineer

Re: Building a flyback with 3 cams

PostTue Apr 17, 2018 5:48 am

From what I was told at NAB, the Camera panel doesn't have the ability to connect directly via cat 5 to the fiber systems.

Camera panel would connect to the atem over Ethernet, where the ATEM adds the camera control data to the SDI outputs, which then gets fed back to the studio fiber adapters and sent via SDI to the camera.
David Buehler
db Production Services LLC
Albuquerque, NM

Xtreemtec

PostTue Apr 17, 2018 2:29 pm

David is right.. Also the Ethernet connection on the Fiber units are not working yet.. This will be in some future update...
Daniel Wittenaar .:: Xtreemtec Media Productions ::. -= www.xtreemtec.nl =-
4K OBV Trailer, ATEM TVS HD, 4M/E Broadcast Studio 4K, Constelation 8K, Hyperdeck Studio 12G, Ursa Broadcast 4K, 4K fiber converters with Sony Control

scarletandgrey33

PostThu Apr 19, 2018 2:25 pm

Xtreemtec wrote: This will be in some future update...

Hahaha that is a scary phrasing! Was there any mention of expected timeline? SO my understanding then of the signal chain would lock us into a BMD switcher to use the fiber converters with the camera control unit.

Please correct me if I am wrong!

Thanks

Xtreemtec

PostSun Apr 22, 2018 3:01 pm

It will always lock you to have a Atem, or SDI shield with a piece of software to do it.. Because the Ethernet connection will only be a 1:1 feed trough ethernet connection..

Future upgrade is what was told me on a TradeFair.. And yes that is always scary.. Because there is no timeline.. Could be weeks could be years could be never.. ;)
Daniel Wittenaar .:: Xtreemtec Media Productions ::. -= www.xtreemtec.nl =-
4K OBV Trailer, ATEM TVS HD, 4M/E Broadcast Studio 4K, Constelation 8K, Hyperdeck Studio 12G, Ursa Broadcast 4K, 4K fiber converters with Sony Control

Return to Live Production