Teranex genlock issues

Questions about ATEM Switchers, Camera Converter and everything live!
  • Author

James Hope

Teranex genlock issues

PostTue Apr 17, 2018 7:03 am

Hi,

We use two Teranexes (a Teranex 2D and a newer Teranex Express) to drive sender cards for two sides of a 8x3m LED video wall. As they are being used together, we need to genlock them together. Up until recently, we were able to do that. They accepted the black burst reference that we sent to them and synced up nicely. However, do to a completely different issue, we needed to upgrade them both to the latest software (6.1). The 2D had been running 5.0.1, and the Express with whatever it was shipped with. Since the upgrade, I've been unable to sync them and it's causing me a lot of trouble.

The first problem since the upgrade was that while the "REF" light was lit on both units, they were ignoring the black burst reference. I tried switching between input and external, but that made no difference. The second problem was that after a while, the "REF" light went off and the line and pixel options for external sync were greyed out. Now, they will only accept tri-level sync, but I have no way of knowing if they're actually synced because they don't seem to be outputting anything when set to external reference (though they show what I want on the built-in screen when the "OUT" button is pressed). Initially I thought the sending cards or our SDI->HDMI micro converters couldn't take the signal that was synced with tri-level (the latter didn't make sense), but I've proved that to be incorrect as I can send tri-level into two brand new UpDownCross HDs and it works on the screen (sans the proc amps that I need in the Teranexes). I've downgraded the Teranex 2D back to 5.0.1, but it made no difference.

I've checked cables, tried rerouting things, and am even using the same cables on the UpDownCross HDs, so they aren't the problem. I've exhausted my options.

So, basically, I need to know, have I done something wrong, or is there a problem with software 6.1 that has also made it so downgrading doesn't fix the issue?

Thanks,

James.
Windows 11 Pro, AMD Ryzen 7 3700X, 32GB RAM, NVidia RTX 2070 8GB.

Xtreemtec

Re: Teranex genlock issues

PostTue Apr 17, 2018 2:27 pm

This is a very specific issue that i guess not a lot of users will have.. BTW using a Teranex Express and 2D to process one half of each screen.. It is quite funny that even worked for you.. As there is some difference in processing delay between the 2.. :P

Rolling back to 5.0.1 should do the trick.. But for some reason it could happen some settings on a chip side chip gets updated to some new values.. That don't get reversed by the downgrade..

(Old Atem 1ME had something similair were you lost all downscaled outputs when installing FW 3.4 But to fix it you had to send in the atem for a replacement because of the rollback did not fix the issue..)

You might try to find a very old version of the teranex fw that does support the 2d. Install that and from that point install to 5.0.1.. Give it a try.. But i guess you have to shoot a ticket into BMD support to get some Teranex expert to assist you further on this matter.
Daniel Wittenaar .:: Xtreemtec Media Productions ::. -= www.xtreemtec.nl =-
4K OBV Trailer, ATEM TVS HD, 4M/E Broadcast Studio 4K, Constelation 8K, Hyperdeck Studio 12G, Ursa Broadcast 4K, 4K fiber converters with Sony Control

Return to Live Production