Teranex Mini Smart Panel

Questions about ATEM Switchers, Camera Converter and everything live!
  • Author

Richard Crowley

Teranex Mini Smart Panel

PostTue Apr 17, 2018 6:43 pm

It is not clear from either the advertising blurbs, or from the PDF manual whether the Mini Smart Panel accessory provides monitoring video image and viewing audio levels on the built-in screen? Can Blackmagic provide a definitive answer to this question?

For example, I would love to have an HDMI to SDI converter with audio inputs where I could use the built-in monitor screen as a confidence monitor for the video, and for setting analog audio levels using the 2-channel bar graph to the right of the video image.

And I would love to have an Audio to SDI insertion converter where I could monitor the audio levels on the screen. Else it is not clear how one would set audio inputs for optimal levels?

Dave Del Vecchio

Re: Teranex Mini Smart Panel

PostWed Apr 18, 2018 12:42 am

Yes, the Teranex Mini Smart Panel shows the video input signal and audio meters for two channels of audio, as can be seen in this photo:
https://images.blackmagicdesign.com/ima ... 1460999806

The audio meters are the two vertical bars to the right of the video frame. The audio meters are color coded (green at lower levels and turn yellow or red above some level), but I'm not exactly sure what the scale is or what audio level each color corresponds to. So it's useful for confidence monitoring, but may not be sufficient as a tool for setting precise audio levels.

The Smart Panel screen also shows the the detected resolution and frame rate of the input video signal and the timecode embedded on the input video signal (or via external LTC input for the models that support it).

Richard Crowley

PostWed Apr 18, 2018 2:15 am

Thank you. So the Mini Smart Panel displays the video signal and 2 channels of audio on ALL of the Teranex Mini products? That is great. I was reluctant to take marketing photos as hard specifications.

Does the display show only two channels on the Audio to SDI product when used to insert 4 channels of AES/EBU digital audio?

Xtreemtec

PostWed Apr 18, 2018 12:31 pm

I'm not sure about the audio to sdi version.. But i have the HDMI to optical and optical to HDMI both with a mini smart panel in front of them.. And they are great for quick debug, see if you have signal, config the hardware.. Set audio levels and so forth.. ;)
Daniel Wittenaar .:: Xtreemtec Media Productions ::. -= www.xtreemtec.nl =-
4K OBV Trailer, ATEM TVS HD, 4M/E Broadcast Studio 4K, Constelation 8K, Hyperdeck Studio 12G, Ursa Broadcast 4K, 4K fiber converters with Sony Control

Return to Live Production