Could standards conversion possibly be added via firmware?

Questions about ATEM Switchers, Camera Converter and everything live!
  • Author

Kairei

Could standards conversion possibly be added via firmware?

PostFri Apr 20, 2018 12:52 am

I'm researching switchers and am interested in the ATEM Television Studio Pro 4K. A big reason is the new feature that all SDI inputs have standards converters on them so you can just plug in anything with no need to match format/rate. I also looked at the ATEM 4 M/E Broadcast Studio 4K, but unfortunately, it doesn't have the standards converters. It is way more expensive so the idea of having to also buy several converters is not appealing.

Is it possible that the 4 M/E could be upgraded in the future via firmware to support standards conversions on inputs? Or, is that something that would require additional hardware (or higher performing hardware) so that the existing model could never be updated?

Denny Smith

Re: Could standards conversion possibly be added via firmwar

PostFri Apr 20, 2018 2:35 am

No, standards conversions requires additional hardware, not just firmware. Only the new ATEM 4K Pro has the additional hardware to support standards conversions on its inputs, but doing so, will add some additional delay to the signal.
Cheers
Denny Smith
SHA Productions

Kairei

PostFri Apr 20, 2018 2:54 am

Denny Smith wrote:No, standards conversions requires additional hardware, not just firmware.

Great, thanks! This really helps me with my decision. If I want standards conversions on inputs now, the Pro 4K is my one and only choice.

Denny Smith wrote:...standards conversions on its inputs, but doing so, will add some additional delay to the signal.

Do you know if that delay is added to the whole system, i.e. on all 8 inputs, or just those that actually need converting?

The whole reason I got BM gear was to be in the SDI world where, in my amature understanding, there is almost "real time" handling of the video signal through the switcher. My understanding is that I could self-monitor my own audio without noticeable delay (for example, if I was doing a demo where I had a camera on my face and was switching between my face and a connected iPad). I'd be shooting at 2160p59.94 and the switcher standard would be the same. I'd be using a mic connected through the camera and the iPad outputs 1080p59.94 so it needs upconverting.

So, in this case, would the delay only be on the input the iPad is connected to? Or would it also be on the SDI camera input (potentially causing an audio delay that could mess up my self-monitoring)?

Denny Smith

PostFri Apr 20, 2018 8:16 pm

I would imagine, only the inputs being converted, but since this is a new switcher, this is not really known. You could contact BM Support directly for a quicker answer to this one.

Edit, BM has confirmed all inputs matching the ATEM resolution setting will not be processed, and will have less than 1 Frame latency. If an input does not match the ATEM settings, like a 1080i59.94 camera with the ATEM set to 1080p29.94, then the up/down cross Converter in thr new HD Pro ATEM will convert the 1080i signal back to 1080p29.94, with a possible 1-2 frsme delay, depending on the amount of processing required to get the input signslmto match the ATEM setting.
Cheers
Last edited by Denny Smith on Thu May 31, 2018 11:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Denny Smith
SHA Productions

Xtreemtec

PostSun Apr 22, 2018 2:41 pm

To give you a bit of idea.. The Teranex AV in LOW LATENCY mode takes about 3 frames for a standard conversion..

I can not comment on how quick the new switcher will be as it is not out in the open and tested yet.. But expect more delay then without scaling. ;)
Daniel Wittenaar .:: Xtreemtec Media Productions ::. -= www.xtreemtec.nl =-
4K OBV Trailer, ATEM TVS HD, 4M/E Broadcast Studio 4K, Constelation 8K, Hyperdeck Studio 12G, Ursa Broadcast 4K, 4K fiber converters with Sony Control

nmsoundengineer

PostTue Apr 24, 2018 4:31 pm

Xtreemtec wrote:To give you a bit of idea.. The Teranex AV in LOW LATENCY mode takes about 3 frames for a standard conversion..

I can not comment on how quick the new switcher will be as it is not out in the open and tested yet.. But expect more delay then without scaling. ;)
f1

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
David Buehler
db Production Services LLC
Albuquerque, NM

Kairei

PostThu May 31, 2018 10:45 pm

Kairei wrote:Do you know if that delay is added to the whole system, i.e. on all 8 inputs, or just those that actually need converting?

Denny Smith wrote:I would imagine, on,ymthe inouts being converted, but since this is a new switcher, this is not really known. You could contact BM Support...

For those that may be interested, I asked BM support and here was the answer:

If you are not feeding it a signal that needs a standards conversion, then you could expect the traditional ATEM delay. No input affects another, so only the input that's being scaled will have the additional delay.

The "traditional ATEM delay" he's mentioning is the deley that exists on all ATEM inputs (which apparently is typically 1 frame).

Xtreemtec

PostSun Jun 03, 2018 1:32 pm

that is new info.. thanks for that..
Daniel Wittenaar .:: Xtreemtec Media Productions ::. -= www.xtreemtec.nl =-
4K OBV Trailer, ATEM TVS HD, 4M/E Broadcast Studio 4K, Constelation 8K, Hyperdeck Studio 12G, Ursa Broadcast 4K, 4K fiber converters with Sony Control

Return to Live Production