StudioPro 4K Question-Probably Stupid

Questions about ATEM Switchers, Camera Converter and everything live!
  • Author

jak754

StudioPro 4K Question-Probably Stupid

PostMon Apr 23, 2018 3:09 am

Hello,
I am a technical theater teacher in the US, please be nice! I am a sound guy who happens to do lights and, now, video production. I am looking to switch from a Tricaster Mini to the world of BlackMagic. I knew nothing when I got the Mini a couple years ago and have been disappointed with the product since. My salesperson talked me into it.

My apologies if this information is already out there, I have looked over the forum and couldn't find an answer. I am looking to build a system around a StudioPro4k and was wondering if the HDMI and SDI multiview outputs work in tandem. I want like to have the switcher setup with a multiview monitor within our theater and then have a secondary multiview in a production room, not inside the house.

Thanks!

Asgeir Hustad

Re: StudioPro 4K Question-Probably Stupid

PostTue Apr 24, 2018 7:19 am

Hi

Yes, both multiview outputs work simultaneously. I'm generally doing the same thing here, using the HDMI one in the control room, and then sending the SDI Multiview to a small screen up with the lighting tech. I'm working with the original 1M/E though, but I have no doubt it works the same.

Of course, your multiviewer outputs will be identical - you don't have two different multiviewers on the Studio Pro 4k.

jak754

PostTue Apr 24, 2018 6:32 pm

Thanks, I appreciate the answer. Good to know the multiview outputs will be identical. Do you like your equipment? I was burned with the NewTek stuff, I don't want to make the same mistake.

Asgeir Hustad

PostTue Apr 24, 2018 10:23 pm

I'm very pleased with my 1M/E - but I'm actually quickly running out of inputs and outputs for any production that get's moderately more complex than a regular concert show to projectors and tape.

We're sometimes running studio productions as part of the regular shows, and often have to run these through a separate switcher + control room due to lack of inputs and outputs. We'd probably have really good use of a Videohub with these kinds of productions, where you want separate monitors everywhere with lots of different signals: One for the projectors in the hall, which should have a separate mix from the stream, the studio should have both themselves and also main PGM out, audio is running everywhere and is de-embedded from SDI streams and changed around, the audio guy for the studio needs a monitor to see all the people with mics there if he's not in the same room, a local confidence monitor in the control room for the projector output is nice, etc etc.

What we've found though, is that most of the things we want to do, we can. Often we need a little bit more outboard gear, but we can generally achieve most things. :D

Return to Live Production