Xkeys buttons working with delay. Help!

Questions about ATEM Switchers, Camera Converter and everything live!
  • Author

Alexander Kinov

Xkeys buttons working with delay. Help!

PostTue Apr 24, 2018 11:44 am

Hi
I'm dumbass and did something wrong while experimenting.
Xkeys keyboard is controlling the ATEM switcher with JustMacros. The control script works just fine.
But I was experimenting with Xkeys Basic Setup app and I guess I did something wrong. Now everything workd fine...but all the buttons work with small delay (like 1 second). What did I do and how can I fix it?

Pavel Lavrov

Re: Xkeys buttons working with delay. Help!

PostThu Apr 26, 2018 10:35 pm

Try removing software that comes with it, Just Macros should work just fine without it, and it might fix the issue.
If not try different USB port.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Pavel L

Harry Parker

PostThu Apr 26, 2018 11:15 pm

Pavel has it right. When using JustMacros with X-keys do not load the software that comes with the X-keys pad. It interferes with JM as you have seen.

Alexander Kinov

PostMon Apr 30, 2018 4:24 pm

Sorry, guys, I was in a hurry and under stress, so my explanation of the problem was not correct. Here is detailed explanation:

We own 2 ATEM switchers, one Xkeys unit and also Beaglebone controller box (with arduino processor) that connects the Xkeys 124 tbar with the switcher. Everything works fine, but the controller is not properly programmed - for example PGM button 1 calls input 5, PGM buttons 2,3 work fine, then PGM button 4 calls input 6 and so on. So in order to do my job (we are small TV channel) I use JustMacros and with the standard programming everything works fine, and all the keys of the Xkeys work fine (key 1 - input 1, key 2 - input 2 and so on). But using JustMacros requires laptop (laptop is connected to the ATEM by ethernet and the keyboard is connected to USB port). Sometimes I want to avoid using the laptop, so I want to use the controller box. There is no way to contact the company that provided the controller to us, but I have some experience with programming, so I tried to find a way to reprogram the controller. Nothing so far.
Then after some reading and checking tips of other Xkeys users I decided I can try to reprogram the behavior of some keys of the Xkeys keyboard. I downloaded and run X-keys Basic Setup and tried to record something on the first 4 keys. I guess I wasn't prepared enough for this, because after that the keys started working slow - pressing the key calls its function with latency, no matter if Xkeys is connected by Just Macros or by the controller box. But the problem only happens with the first 4 keys - the ones I tried to reprogram. The rest of the keys work fine. I'm sure it isn't problem with the switcher because its own buttons work fine, with no latency.
I did some sort of temporary program in Just Macros so I can do my job - PGM buttons 5,6,7,8 of the Xkeys call inputs 1,2,3,4 of the ATEM switcher. it works fine, with no latency. So I think the problem is definitely in what I did to the first 4 (PGM and Preview) buttons of the Xkeys.

Also, I downloaded Macroworks, installed it, but I have problem with it - the moment it recognizes my keyboard, the software crashes with some error message (I can't quote it now, I'll be able to check it later). I tried MacroWorks on two different computers - with Windows 7(64bit) and Windows 10 (64bit).

I hope this post gives more details on my problem. Thank you very much for the help.

Harry Parker

PostMon Apr 30, 2018 11:59 pm

Hi again. Are the macros used on the first 4 keys the built in ones that are part of JM or are they custom macros? If they are the standard ones then I am at a loss but, as a "you never know" thing, I would ensure that there is no other macros software loaded on your laptop; go to devices in your settings and uninstall the x-keys pad; unplug it and reboot the laptop; plug the x-keys back in and let it reinstall. This will make sure that whatever the issue is it isn't driver related.

To check how the keys are programmed, open JM and go to the final tab that shows the x-key pad and your profile. Click your profile and scroll to the button numbers that are causing you problems. Have a look at how those keys are set up, they should be using the macros baked into JM. If not you can reprogram them easily enough. If they are are set to "standard" keys check the code and make sure there is no sleep line at the beginning that might be delaying the action.

Without seeing your actual profile it's hard to know where the problem is so just trying everything.

Cheers,

Harry

Alexander Kinov

PostTue May 01, 2018 5:10 am

The problem have nothung to do with JM, as it also happens without using any laptop and Just Macros.
It also happens when Xkeys is connected to external little black box and then to ATEM switcher. The little black box should be Arduino based Beaglenbone black controller. I have no idea what's inside that box but I never changed anything with it.

The problem appeared after I used "Xkeys Basic setup" software. Before that everything was fine. After that AUX 1234, PGM 1234 and Preview 1234 buttons work with latency. I think I probably recorded something wrong to the Xkeys internal memory.

Harry Parker

PostWed May 02, 2018 3:43 am

Hi Alexander. There is a separate app available here http://xkeys.com/PISupport/SoftwareUtilities.php that will erase the memory in an XK series pad. This function is also under the Tools menu in Macroworks 3.1 but you stated that your copy keeps crashing.

Hope this helps.

Harry.

Alexander Kinov

PostWed May 02, 2018 6:31 am

Harry Parker wrote:Hi Alexander. There is a separate app available here http://xkeys.com/PISupport/SoftwareUtilities.php that will erase the memory in an XK series pad. This function is also under the Tools menu in Macroworks 3.1 but you stated that your copy keeps crashing.

Hope this helps.

Harry.

Thank you very much. I found useful apps on the link you provided.
However, I'm not sure if I should erase the memory of my device.
The options are two
1. The unit memory was clear and I installed some new macros on the the buttons that work slow now.
2. the unit had previously installed macros on every single button in order to work with ATEM and I ruined some of them.

If it is case 1, erasing the memory will solve the problem.
If it is case 2 and I erase the memory, I may completely ruin the unit. And it is a bit expensive for my wallet to buy new one.
How do I know what's on the device memory? Any way to check? I tried to read the device memory with "Xkeys basic setup", but I'm not sure I do it right. Here is what I did
1. open the software
2. press file/read device
3. press file/save to file
Here is what I found in the file:

D"XKE-124 T-bar"
G {xx}
L1 {
}
L2 {
}

I actually used these operations to make backup before trying to reprogram the unit. But it didn't help me to restore the device in its previous condition.

Alexander Kinov

PostWed May 02, 2018 6:40 pm

Problem solved.
I managed to reprogram the behaviour of my unit, using "X-keys basic setup"

Just a quick advice. Don't do anything unless you are 100 % sure you understand what you are doing. And even if you are sure, read some more and ask people with more experience. Unless you want to spend your days off trying to fix problems you don't understand ;)

Harry Parker

PostThu May 03, 2018 12:18 am

Glad to be of assistance. :)

Return to Live Production