Hyperdeck Mini as a player (Media Codec type)

Questions about ATEM Switchers, Camera Converter and everything live!
  • Author

Pascale Paris

Hyperdeck Mini as a player (Media Codec type)

PostWed May 02, 2018 3:55 pm

Hi all,
I have read a topic with the Hyperdeck Mini as a recorder and media type etc theres no real discussion with the Hyperdeck Mini as a player.
I have setup my Atem studio 4k with inputs 7 & 8 as Hyperdeck key and fill
I have exported several media in MXF Avid codec and cannot seem to play back any video or still with or without alpha.
Has anyone had any luck using the Hyperdeck Mini as a player and not just a recorder then playing back.
Any info is much appreciated.

Paris

Gary Adams

Blackmagic Design

Re: Hyperdeck Mini as a player (Media Codec type)

PostWed May 02, 2018 4:10 pm

Hello Pascale. The Hyperdeck Mini supports ProRes 4:4:4:4 HD files with alpha channel. There is mention of the key and fill format on the website but not in the manual as you have described. I'll pass that information along.

Regards, Gary
Gary Adams
Blackmagic Design

Xtreemtec

PostWed May 02, 2018 5:57 pm

Well Gary we asked a few times in the forum for render presets.. Or even give us the right render profiles for Davinci.. Just Hyperdeck presets for DNxHD, Prores, Raw. So that we have at least 1 source to render from for the hyperdecks.. ;)
Daniel Wittenaar .:: Xtreemtec Media Productions ::. -= www.xtreemtec.nl =-
4K OBV Trailer, ATEM TVS HD, 4M/E Broadcast Studio 4K, Constelation 8K, Hyperdeck Studio 12G, Ursa Broadcast 4K, 4K fiber converters with Sony Control

Pascale Paris

PostThu May 03, 2018 5:43 am

Anytime tomorrow would be fine Gary :)

Arnaud Damian

PostThu May 03, 2018 4:04 pm

I've used a whole set of 4 Hyperdeck Mini Studio for multiple live events.
It's working almost fine 95% of the time.

For each configuration, as I'm using DnxHD media, I have one Hyperdeck MS for fill content and the second one for the key content. On the fill content player i have my "fill" media (normal media) and on the second player i've put the alpha channel only rendered media.

For each graphic I need to push online, I am selecting the fill media (normal media) and the key media (which is in fact the the rendered alpha channel only played by the second player) through the luma key on the atem software.

For the codec. Through After Effects:
(for 1080i50 setup and DNXHD media). The field render has to be set up as "upper field first" (comp frame rate: 25p)
Then Quicktime //RGB // Millions of Colors // Premultiplied // DNxHR/DNxHD // 1080i DNxHD HQX 10-bit // Alpha None

For the alpha only media:
Same things as above except for:
Quicktime // ALPHA // Millions of Colors // Premultipled // DnxHR/DNxHD // 1080i DNxHD HQX 10-bit // Alpha Uncompressed.

The file extension has to be *.mov (which is why I us After Effects and not Adobe Media Encoder).

This is working fine.
The playback works fine 95% of the time. Sometimes, there is a slight delay between the 2 players and the fill and the key are not perfectly in sync. I don't know why.
Both playbacks are triggered by the transition (or by just pressing the "on air" key)

I just wish Blackmagic could resolve the ProRes encoding situation on a windows station as ProRes 444 with alpha would allow us to single each media player, instead of using a pair each time we want to display animated on air graphics.

Hope this could help.

EDIT: We use the Hyperdeck Mini Studio as a media player also.
We prepare each media as a DNxHD 1080i50 media. It's working every time. It's a real plus to play media as the transition goes (cut or auto) without pushing extra buttons.

Pascale Paris

PostFri May 04, 2018 3:42 am

Arnaud Damian wrote:I've used a whole set of 4 Hyperdeck Mini Studio for multiple live events.
It's working almost fine 95% of the time.

For each configuration, as I'm using DnxHD media, I have one Hyperdeck MS for fill content and the second one for the key content. On the fill content player i have my "fill" media (normal media) and on the second player i've put the alpha channel only rendered media.

For each graphic I need to push online, I am selecting the fill media (normal media) and the key media (which is in fact the the rendered alpha channel only played by the second player) through the luma key on the atem software.

For the codec. Through After Effects:
(for 1080i50 setup and DNXHD media). The field render has to be set up as "upper field first" (comp frame rate: 25p)
Then Quicktime //RGB // Millions of Colors // Premultiplied // DNxHR/DNxHD // 1080i DNxHD HQX 10-bit // Alpha None

For the alpha only media:
Same things as above except for:
Quicktime // ALPHA // Millions of Colors // Premultipled // DnxHR/DNxHD // 1080i DNxHD HQX 10-bit // Alpha Uncompressed.

The file extension has to be *.mov (which is why I us After Effects and not Adobe Media Encoder).

This is working fine.
The playback works fine 95% of the time. Sometimes, there is a slight delay between the 2 players and the fill and the key are not perfectly in sync. I don't know why.
Both playbacks are triggered by the transition (or by just pressing the "on air" key)

I just wish Blackmagic could resolve the ProRes encoding situation on a windows station as ProRes 444 with alpha would allow us to single each media player, instead of using a pair each time we want to display animated on air graphics.

Hope this could help.

EDIT: We use the Hyperdeck Mini Studio as a media player also.
We prepare each media as a DNxHD 1080i50 media. It's working every time. It's a real plus to play media as the transition goes (cut or auto) without pushing extra buttons.
Thank you so so much.
Il give it a go tonight and test.
Thanks again.
Paris

Sent from my SM-N915G using Tapatalk

Arnaud Damian

PostFri May 04, 2018 8:00 am

Just to be clear about our configuration and presets.

We're shooting in 1080i50 mode so our ATEM switcher is configured to receive and produce a 1080i50 signal.

Our 4 Hyperdeck Mini Studio run with the DNxHR HQX QT codec (hence the need for us to have media properly encapsuled in QT and *.mov extension). Can't remember why we are using the QT instead of the MXF. But the workflow is basically the same.

We troubleshooted a lot until finding the right workflow. We stumbled a lot on a series of black/no image processed/broadcasted by the decks. I find this to be a real loss of time trying mostly through a long string of trials and errors to work with these device in order to use them the way they're marketed.
I find most of these manuals very vague on a lot of things. Especially with these that need interlaced media in order to be used with our shooting/switching/broadcasting configuration.

With the recent updates of the firmware, we've also run through a lot of *No Media* through the panel info (or software info). Each time we had to change/eject/replace a SD card we have to either reboot the deck or either reassigning the IP adress through the hyperdeck tab on the ATEM Software in order to access the media on the cards again. It's a real loss of time and something that need to be fixed in the next firmware update.

Just FYI, we use the same codecs and presets with the regular Hyperdeck Studios. On our live shows, they are mostly used as recorders (and the mini studios as players). But every time we need to use the Hyperdeck Studios as players, we canuse the medias generated/encoded/produced for the Hyperdeck Mini Studio devices. Which is a real plus.

Pascale Paris

PostSat May 05, 2018 11:04 am

Thank you so much,
It worked like a treat

Now to get another Hyperdeck for Alpha, Dammmmmm

Arnaud Damian

PostSun May 06, 2018 10:13 pm

You're welcome. :)
Glad, it finally worked for you !

Now to get another Hyperdeck for Alpha, Dammmmmm

Yes that's the downside of this method. It would be great if an DNxHD/HR alternative to the ProRes 444 existed for those who work in a windows only environnement.

Is there a way to pilot more than 4 hyperdecks through the hardware panel ? Is it a switcher limitation or just a sofaware limitation (only 4 decks visible/diplayed on the broadcast panel) ? 4 connections is a bit low when 2 sets of 2 Hyperdeck Mini Studio are used for the online graphics.

Pascale Paris

PostMon May 07, 2018 2:30 am

Well i havenr botheted with the alpha yet as im not prepared to purchase another deck.
You would think that 1 deck is sufficient to perform key and fill.
Thus the 2 outputs also BMD advertise this and why I purchased the deck.
Im going to stick with the free CasperCG which I know works.
My bad luck "Hyperdeck"...

Sent from my SM-N915G using Tapatalk

Dave Del Vecchio

PostMon May 07, 2018 11:02 pm

Arnaud Damian wrote:I just wish Blackmagic could resolve the ProRes encoding situation on a windows station as ProRes 444 with alpha would allow us to single each media player, instead of using a pair each time we want to display animated on air graphics.

I believe Fusion 9 Studio (the paid version) supports ProRes 4444 encoding (with alpha) on Windows:
viewtopic.php?f=22&t=62449#p354573

Arnaud Damian

PostFri May 11, 2018 6:39 am

Thanks for the info, Dave. Nice to learn that Fusion on windows platforms exports and imports Prores 4444.

Is this feature will be added to Resolve also ?

(and still hoping for DNxHD alternative)

Mikael Bellina

PostMon Sep 21, 2020 1:02 pm

Hi, I can't figure out how to do a media from Resolve on windows to play on my hyperdeck mini with alpha channel.

So can you confirm it's not possible with my workflow : windows + resolve.

If it's possible can you tell me exactly which export to do. Because nothing is in the manual of course...

Also I tried in adobe media encoder with apple pro res in a mov with alpha can't make it work on the hyperdeck mini....

thank you
16.1.1 Studio / 2690v2 / rtx 2080 ti / ssd / W10 last
Atem Tvs Hd / hyperdeck studio mini

Dave Del Vecchio

PostMon Sep 21, 2020 3:54 pm

I'm not sure that it is possible to export ProRes 4444 with alpha from DaVinci Resolve on Windows. At least this thread seems to suggest that this is not supported on that platform:
viewtopic.php?f=3&t=104236

Mikael Bellina

PostMon Sep 21, 2020 4:31 pm

Dave Del Vecchio wrote:I'm not sure that it is possible to export ProRes 4444 with alpha from DaVinci Resolve on Windows. At least this thread seems to suggest that this is not supported on that platform:
viewtopic.php?f=3&t=104236

Ok yes I know this but either dnxhd doesn't work on the hyperdeck and prores from media encoder doesn't work also on my hyperdeck

Mikael Bellina

PostMon Sep 21, 2020 7:56 pm

Ok I succeed with prores from adobe media encoder, I didn't know you have to put the hyperdeck in record mod as prores also.

I tried with dnxhd with several format, hx 444 something sometimes it plays but it's all black. I tried the export with davinci resolve.

Return to Live Production