Stabilizing a HDMI signal

Questions about ATEM Switchers, Camera Converter and everything live!
  • Author

Steinar H. Gunderson

Stabilizing a HDMI signal

PostWed May 02, 2018 5:48 pm

Hi,

I've got an HDMI signal that's pretty far out-of-spec—it's a 576p50 signal, except it's actually sending on about 50.27 Hz. My TV displays it just fine, but I can't capture (I just get “no signal”—tried Intensity Shuttle, ATEM TVS, 4K Mini Recorder, UltraStudio Pro, and the SDI converters won't sync). Does anyone know of a device, Blackmagic or otherwise, that will reliably take in such signals and transform them (I assume by dropping the occasional frame, and/or scaling) to an HDMI or SDI signal a Blackmagic capture card would take in?

Xtreemtec

Re: Stabilizing a HDMI signal

PostWed May 02, 2018 5:53 pm

50.27??? What is that source :shock: :shock: Sned it back to the manufacturer.. They are not up to spec..

I think even a Decimator MD-HX wont take this.. :?
Daniel Wittenaar .:: Xtreemtec Media Productions ::. -= www.xtreemtec.nl =-
4K OBV Trailer, ATEM TVS HD, 4M/E Broadcast Studio 4K, Constelation 8K, Hyperdeck Studio 12G, Ursa Broadcast 4K, 4K fiber converters with Sony Control

Steinar H. Gunderson

PostThu May 03, 2018 10:51 am

The source is a Commodore 64 (signal converted directly from analog to HDMI, with the broken timing and all). I'd take it back to Commodore designers in 1982 and tell them “please don't do this”, but they went bankrupt in the nineties.

:-)

carlomacchiavello

PostThu May 03, 2018 11:32 am

You need in between a tbc to stabilize it. The convertire from analog to hdmi must do that. There are to manage from c64 out, could be easely for a tbc.
In the 90 before Amiga i record out often small graphics for private tv, c64 to tbc to mixer to betacam

Inviato dal mio E6653 utilizzando Tapatalk

Steinar H. Gunderson

PostThu May 03, 2018 11:34 am

I don't think I know what a TBC is.

In any case, I would prefer something coming after the HDMI step, if at all possible. :-) The signal is possible to read (given that the TV manages to do so), and supposedly Avermedia capture cards can accept it, but I'd prefer avoiding a H.264 step in the middle, given that this is supposed to be live…

Thomas Seewald

PostThu May 03, 2018 11:52 am

Maybe a time base corrector (tbc) before conversion to HDMI could be a good idea. So the analog signal should fit the requirements for the framerate.

When searching for a solution behind HDMI conversion, I would give the Decimator MD-HX a try. This is a "swiss army knife" for video scaling and framerate conversion. The 50.27 frames is not a supported framerate, but maybe it works - no warranty, only a try !

By the way, the MD-HX is never a wrong investment ;-)
thos-berlin - Thomas S e e w a l d

Steinar H. Gunderson

PostThu May 03, 2018 1:56 pm

Would an analog TBC actually reduce the frame rate correctly? The frames are not coming in with an uneven timebase, they're just coming in too fast.

Denny Smith

PostThu May 03, 2018 4:19 pm

I think this would depend on the TBC, you need one that will reclock the signal to a correct “Broadcast” standard frequency and frame rate.
Cheers
Last edited by Denny Smith on Fri May 04, 2018 1:58 am, edited 1 time in total.
Denny Smith
SHA Productions

Steinar H. Gunderson

PostThu May 03, 2018 9:05 pm

I borrowed a Decimator MD-Cross v2. It took in the signal, and with some fiddling in the settings, managed to produce a beautiful SDI signal that my capture cards took in without a hitch. It has a one-frame glitch every two minutes or so, but I'll happily live with that!

MambaFiber.com

PostFri May 04, 2018 10:16 am

if this comes up again, or for anyone else looking for a fix...

we use the AJA FS1/FS2/FS4 on a regular basis. These are proper frame synchronizers that have several flavors of input and can resize/rerate/crop/etc any oddball video we have been able to throw at them. They will even smooth an output of the BMD Videohub full of non-sync sources and produce a glitch free output suitable for iso switch recording. the FS1 is a single source processor, the FS2 has two processing channels. the 4k capable FS4 can process *4* channels of HD/3G or 1 channel of 4k. pricey, but truly worth a look...
Greg Bellotte - owner
MambaFiber.com
FaceBook.com/MambaFiber

Steinar H. Gunderson

PostFri May 04, 2018 12:52 pm

It's a good data point, but those are SDI in only, right?

MambaFiber.com

PostFri May 04, 2018 3:51 pm

the FS4 only has SDI ins, but FS1/FS2 take several formats besides SDI in, including analog and hdmi.
Greg Bellotte - owner
MambaFiber.com
FaceBook.com/MambaFiber

Return to Live Production