sony pxw-z90v and UltraStudio Mini Recorder

Questions about ATEM Switchers, Camera Converter and everything live!
  • Author

olpunkjunkie

sony pxw-z90v and UltraStudio Mini Recorder

PostFri May 04, 2018 7:23 pm

I just got of the phone with Sony support. We tested my old camera setup that was pushing 1080i HD to a TV monitor and we matched that with the Sony PXW-Z90V so the outputs are the same. I can connect the old Canon camera to the UltraStudio Mini Recorder and the signal comes into Blackmagic Media Express fine. When I connect the Sony to the UltraStudio I just get a black screen with no audio or video. What am I missing?

Dave Del Vecchio

Re: sony pxw-z90v and UltraStudio Mini Recorder

PostFri May 04, 2018 10:32 pm

A few questions:
  1. Are you using the HDMI or SDI output from the camcorder to the UltraStudio Mini Recorder?
  2. What internal format do you have the camera set to record in (REC SET->REC FORMAT in the menus)?
  3. What video format do you have the camera set to output externally (REC/OUT SET -> VIDEO OUT -> SDI/HDMI in the menus)?
Keep in mind a few limitations on the video output support of the camera:
  • The camera is only capable of outputting a signal on one external output port at any given time (configured via the OUTPUT SELECT option in the menu).
  • If set to record in 4K or Ultra HD resolutions (referred to as QFHD in the camera), the camera is only capable of sending a video signal to the LCD/viewfinder or external (HDMI/SDI) port, but not both simultaneously. Where the signal is sent depends on the QFHD REC OUTPUT option in the menu.
  • If set to record internally in XAVC QFHD (4K/Ultra HD) and the camera's streaming functionality is being used, the video out setting is automatically set to LCD/viewfinder (evidently it is not possible to get HDMI or SDI video out with this combination).

olpunkjunkie

PostSat May 05, 2018 7:25 pm

"A few questions:"
Are you using the HDMI or SDI output from the camcorder to the UltraStudio Mini Recorder?

Output Select: HDMI

What internal format do you have the camera set to record in (REC SET->REC FORMAT in the menus)?

File Format: XAVC HD
Rec Format: 1080/60i 50Mbps

What video format do you have the camera set to output externally (REC/OUT SET -> VIDEO OUT -> SDI/HDMI in the menus)?

SDI/HDMI: 1080i/480i

Dave Del Vecchio

PostMon May 07, 2018 10:55 pm

Seems like that combination should work, but I would probably try the SDI output on the camera to the Mini Recorder and see if you get a different result.

With the EDID negotiation that happens over HDMI connections it's easier for things to go wrong or to get a different signal format than you might otherwise expect.

olpunkjunkie

PostFri May 25, 2018 8:58 pm

The SDI output from the camera works fine. I'm perplexed why the HDMI does not. Signal is at the end of the HDMI cable, but won't go through the Mini Recorder. I've tried output settings on the Sony camera and none work. Is this a firmware problem with BMD device?

Jorge Cardenas

PostThu Aug 12, 2021 1:52 am

I have the same issue but with an ultra studio 3G, no idea what's going on.

Return to Live Production