DeckLink Duo 2 vs DeckLink Quad 2

Questions about ATEM Switchers, Camera Converter and everything live!
  • Author

Alexander Kinov

DeckLink Duo 2 vs DeckLink Quad 2

PostMon May 07, 2018 4:02 pm

Hi all, I need comparison between these two cards. I need them for specific task.
I'm aware of some of the tech specs, but I need opinion from someone who already has experience with these two.

So, we are building PC with vmix software, equipped with DeckLink Quad 2. It was done already by partner of us and it works pretty fine. The system is used mainly for highlight repeater on sports events and sometimes also as a video switcher. We are building the same machine, but with better processor power, more memory, SSD drives and so on.
However, I wonder about replacing the Quad 2 with Duo 2 (x2). Why do that? Only one reason - the BNC connectors. The Quad 2 is equipped with DIN (mini BNC) connectors. They are expensive here, and although I have experience with normal BNC, I'm not sure I have the skills and the tools to make cables with DIN. Another reason - sometimes our system needs to be reconfigured "on the run" - during live event. All our gear is equipped with normal BNC connectors. Video card with normal BNC connectors will make reconfiguring easy and quick. DIN connectors will make it harder and slower.
But of course there are some things that bother me.
1. I know how to configure QUAD 2 outputs and inputs, but I never done that with DUO 2.
2. And I also don't know if configuring out/inputs will be possible if we have two DUO 2 cards running together.
3. Can they run together on one PC?
4. And do they share the computer resources equally.
5. Can using 2 separate cards cause some delay between them (or between some of the inputs, outputs) ?

Thanks!

Kevin McGrath

Re: DeckLink Duo 2 vs DeckLink Quad 2

PostMon May 07, 2018 5:45 pm

I have a DeckLink Quad but I have not set it up yet
But I have got the mini din male to bnc female adaptors and mount them on a piece of metal
That way I don’t wear out the mini din
Bought the mini din on eBay. Of course I bought spares. Just in case

I would like to know what computer processor you are using
How did you configure the quad card
Atem tvs , studio converter 4 camera converters, hyperdeck,40x40 videohub. Master control, jvc gy hm700 &170 Jvc gy hm 150 Panasonic aw he50 aw he 2
Panasonic hpx 300. Panasonic hpx 2000 Sony pdw 350 Panasonic HPD24

Xtreemtec

PostMon May 07, 2018 6:52 pm

Exactly what Kevin says.. Put the connectors in a piece of metal or connector plate. ;)
This is the best way to keep them alive.. And easily switchable..
Daniel Wittenaar .:: Xtreemtec Media Productions ::. -= www.xtreemtec.nl =-
4K OBV Trailer, ATEM TVS HD, 4M/E Broadcast Studio 4K, Constelation 8K, Hyperdeck Studio 12G, Ursa Broadcast 4K, 4K fiber converters with Sony Control

Alexander Kinov

PostMon May 07, 2018 8:51 pm

Xtreemtec wrote:Exactly what Kevin says.. Put the connectors in a piece of metal or connector plate. ;)
This is the best way to keep them alive.. And easily switchable..

well, my idea is actually to have the PC in rack mounted case - it will be mounted in the rack with the other equipment. Then I will have patch panel on the back of the case and I will have all the QUAD 2 connectors connected with short cables to this patch panel. So anything I need to do will be with normal BNC. That is my idea. But the other engineer I'm working with, insist on buying two DUO 2 cards, but we are still not sure what choice is better, that's why I'm asking.

As for the processor, we thunk about Intel Coffee Lake Core I7-8700K (3.7Ghz 12MB
LGA1151)

Alexander Kinov

PostTue May 08, 2018 4:42 am

Woke up in the middle of the night with new idea. I hope some of you, experienced people, can share your opinion. Thanks in advance.

Our small mobile system is built around 6U rack case. It contains ATEM switcher, intercom unit, Hyperdeck recorder and plenty of different converters (for different use). And of course plenty of power supplies and cables between the devices. We have plenty of other gear outside the case. The case is already a bit heavy for one person to carry it. If I put together the PC with the rest of the gear, I can connect the PC permanently to the rest of the gear and make my life easier before shooting/broadcasting events. But I will have to buy 10U rack case (the PC comes in 4U case). The PC itself will be quite heavy, so the whole thing will be much more heavier.

So my new idea is to put the PC in separate rack case with patch on the back (connected with all the 8 DIN connectors of the Quad2). Connecting 8 more cables won't take so much time, especially if I label them properly and know what to do. On the other hand the weight won't be so much, and the loading will be easier. We usually travel with minivan, so I think it will be easier to fit 2 separate cases instead of one bigger. Besides, in case we don't need repeater/titler for a certain event, we can just leave the PC in the office.

But I also still think about using DUO 2 cards...if that's ok. The Quad2 variant will be more expensive because of the patch panel, the cables, the connectors. And I'm trying to save my boss some extra money.

Return to Live Production