Possible Live Shows And Also TV Movies?

Questions about ATEM Switchers, Camera Converter and everything live!
  • Author

35mmconnoisseur

Possible Live Shows And Also TV Movies?

PostWed May 09, 2018 12:35 pm

Hey guys. I'm thinking of starting a public access type network in a super tiny town. Not sure whether it's gonna be broadcast network terrestrial type or cable satellite type or online internet type.

If I were to go The URSA Mini 4K EF route I would be able to shoot TV Movies and Straight To Video Flicks and maybe full length documentaries for sure but would I be able to shoot Live TV programs like news broadcasts and outdoor programming specials and public speech broadcasts and private interviews? Also talkshows and soap operas and studio sitcoms etcetera?

The URSA Broadcast on the other hand. Capable of doing live stuff but can it perform decently on serious medias like movies and documentaries? PLEASE HELP AND GOODDAY:)

35mmconnoisseur

Re: Possible Live Shows And Also TV Movies?

PostThu May 10, 2018 10:53 am

Different sensors? That's it? Broadcast sensors do not have that fading background look and sharp subject look while the Mini 4K EF focuses on the subject while all of the background seems blurry. I understand that blurry background thing seems more suitable for cinematic stuff while the all sharp look suits serious non fiction projects. Also Broadcast does not have ISO settings? That's it?

Am I still missing something. Please help you guys. I can't afford Red.

Denny Smith

Re: Possible Live Shows And Also TV Movies?

PostFri May 11, 2018 5:51 am

Both would work, use Film Log for Docs and TV movies and grade the result, video for Broadcast projects. That said, the Broadcast camera has the edge on ready to use Video, with its new Extended Video gen 4 Color science over the zuM gen 3, and will give richer readybto use colors.

The main sensor difference is the UM is a S35 sensor, while the Broadcast camera is a 1-inch (S16) size sensor. Both can give all sharp, deep depth of field, or short DoF, background out I’d focus look, the former is easier on small sensors while the latter is easier on larger sensors. But it is the lens focal length, camera to subject distance in relatio th background distance and the f/stop being used that dictates or controls the DoF look.

I think I would lean towards the Ursa Broadcast camera in your situation, and add a PL mount. Get a good HD B4 lens for the TV work and a S16 or APC-S PL Zoom or some good PL Primes for the more creative projects. Switching the lens mount from PL, and using some Tolina or Sigma Cine Zoom/Prime lenses, completely changes the look of the Ursa Broadcast camera, and adds 1 to 1.5 stops more light to the sensor.
Cheers
Denny Smith
SHA Productions

Return to Live Production