4 M/E Broadcast Studio 4K vs Television Studio Pro 4K

Questions about ATEM Switchers, Camera Converter and everything live!
  • Author

Kairei

4 M/E Broadcast Studio 4K vs Television Studio Pro 4K

PostSun May 13, 2018 6:50 pm

I'm looking to build a 2160p59.94 studio that uses a combination of 4k cameras and other non-4k sources (such as outputs of computers, phones, and tablets which are typically 1080p59.94). I want to do various picture in picture (PIP) effects with the cameras and other sources and transition between them.

I originally looked at the 4 M/E Broadcast Studio 4K but when I realized I'd have to buy multiple converters for all of my sources that don't output 2160p59.94, it just seemed to be getting too expensive. I thought the new Television Studio Pro 4K was the answer to all my prayers due to the standards converters on all inputs but have just found that it doesn't seem to have SuperSource. I know I can use the DVE for PIP but I'm worried it will be limiting. I'm not sure I fully understand what is possible with the DVE and macros.

So, I guess to be specific, I want to know if these statements are true for the Television Studio Pro 4K:

1. If I'm using the DVE for PIP, I can't use it for a transition.

2. I can CUT the program output from one PIP setup (say, cam 1 background with cam 2 overlayed in a PIP box) to another (say, cam 3 background with cam 4 overlayed in PIP box) BUT I cannot TRANSITION between the two with e.g. a fade or wipe (my assumption is the DVE can't be "in use" by both Preview and Program during the 1 second they are transitioning).

3. Without SuperSource, there is no built in way to have more than 1 PIP (so I couldn't have, for example, two camera sources and another device source displayed at the same time).

If these are all true, then it seems my only option (with built in ATEM functionality) is to go with the Broadcast Studio and use SuperSource for the PIP stuff which keeps the DVE free to solve the issues above as follows:

1. SuperSource does PIP, DVE does transition.

2. SuperSource could be used for the first setup, and the DVE for the second (my understanding is there is only one SuperSource even on the 4 M/E and again, I assume that one SuperSource can't be "in use" by both Preview and Program during the 1 second transition). I still couldn't do a DVE transition in this case.

3. Just use SuperSource which can show up to 4 (technically 5 including background) sources.

Am I understanding how these work or is there something I'm missing? Thanks!

Return to Live Production