Designing a BMD ATEM System, But Need Help with System Plans

Questions about ATEM Switchers, Camera Converter and everything live!
  • Author

EcComicFan

Designing a BMD ATEM System, But Need Help with System Plans

PostMon May 21, 2018 6:07 pm

Hello Everyone,

I work for a university student media program and am trying to revamp our live broadcast studio by building a BMD ATEM system, but I don't have any experience with this particular hardware so I thought I would ask you guys to look of my plans and make sure I'm not missing anything.

Attached is diagram of my planned system (sorry for the crude drawing, but I'm on sort of a time crunch).

Screen Shot 2018-05-21 at 1.52.15 PM.png
ATEM System Plan
Screen Shot 2018-05-21 at 1.52.15 PM.png (159.64 KiB) Viewed 637 times

I guess my main questions are as follows...

1) Do I need a second computer to operate the ATEM 1 M/E if I have an Advanced Panel control surface?

2) Will the talkback functionality of the BMD Studio Camera HD 2's work with a traditional analog talkback system or do I need an extra piece of hardware to get talkback/tally light functionality? (I suspect I do, but I'm not sure).

3) Are then any major gaps in this system, or important things I'm forgetting in general?

Thanks in advance for any helpful suggestions you might have!

Xtreemtec

Re: Designing a BMD ATEM System, But Need Help with System P

PostTue May 22, 2018 10:42 am

1. You can use the Mac for some configs and upload images to the Atem.. Software can run in the Background while OBS is running.

2. Atem 1me 4k does not have the Talkback function build in.. You need a Talkback converter to do this. Tally does work out of the box, as does shading.
Or go for a Atem TVS HD which does have Talkback build in. If you are not using the 4K.. I would suggest the TVS HD over the 1ME..

3. Drawings looks ok.. Put a network switch between the Advanced panel and Atem. So you can put the Mac on it too for running Atem software panel.. Keep in mind that audio need some delaying to fix for audio processing..
Daniel Wittenaar .:: Xtreemtec Media Productions ::. -= www.xtreemtec.nl =-
4K OBV Trailer, ATEM TVS HD, 4M/E Broadcast Studio 4K, Constelation 8K, Hyperdeck Studio 12G, Ursa Broadcast 4K, 4K fiber converters with Sony Control

Denny Smith

Re: Designing a BMD ATEM System, But Need Help with System P

PostWed May 23, 2018 7:58 pm

I agree with Daniel, if yiu are only using HD csmeras, get the TV Studio HD Pro or if 4K is in the future, the ATEM Studio Pro 4K, which is the same cast as the 1M/E advanced panel.
Cheers
Denny Smith
SHA Productions

Return to Live Production