HDMI from DAC70 not coming through on ATEM

Questions about ATEM Switchers, Camera Converter and everything live!
  • Author

Gabriel Ng

HDMI from DAC70 not coming through on ATEM

PostWed May 23, 2018 5:55 pm

This has me stumped and I hope I could really get some help on this forum. The ATEM Production Studio 4K has always been sort of a hit and miss game in terms of getting video signals to work to the point that I say a little prayer before plugging things in.

So, I'm using a Datavideo DAC-70 to convert a 1080p50 signal to a 1080i50 but there isn't any signal picked up on any of the HDMI inputs of the ATEM. But if I switched to SDI, it works... so I'm definitely sure that I've got the settings right on my ATEM and the DAC-70.

It's not a faulty HDMI input (on the ATEM) nor HDMI output on the DAC-70... I've checked.

The HDMI output from the DAC-70 to my BMD ultra mini recorder works, and the ATEM picks up signal from my other source that is also 1080i50.

What am I not seeing? Any help is greatly appreciated!

Thanks in advance...

Denny Smith

Re: HDMI from DAC70 not coming through on ATEM

PostWed May 23, 2018 7:51 pm

How long is the HDMI cable from the DAC70 to the ATEM? If greater than 15-feet, this could be the issue.
The ATEM doe not play wel, with long HDMI cable runs. Since the SDI connection is working, any reason why you are not using this connection?
Cheers
Denny Smith
SHA Productions

Gabriel Ng

PostThu May 24, 2018 1:21 am

Denny Smith wrote:How long is the HDMI cable from the DAC70 to the ATEM? If greater than 15-feet, this could be the issue.
The ATEM doe not play wel, with long HDMI cable runs. Since the SDI connection is working, any reason why you are not using this connection?
Cheers

Hi Denny, HDMI cables are only 1m, and I have swapped out multiple cables to try out.

Preferably I would opt for the SDI method as they are much more robust than HDMI, but with limited SDI inputs, I would like to know that HDMI is an option I have. Frankly, I'm glad that I detected this in my own testing and not on location during an event. :)

Denny Smith

PostThu May 24, 2018 5:36 am

That is a good question, and it pays to test out new gear in advance. Perhaps Daniel can shed som light on this, he is very familiar with the various ATEMs. See his Q/A post at the top of this Forum.
Cheers
Denny Smith
SHA Productions

Andrew Martin

PostThu May 24, 2018 7:09 pm

Hdmi would carry over any hdcp protection the source might be using.
SDI wouldn't.. ???

Denny Smith

PostThu May 24, 2018 9:21 pm

I had the same thought, but got the feeling his source is a Video Camera, as the Ultra Mini recordER works?
Cheers
Denny Smith
SHA Productions

Gabriel Ng

PostFri May 25, 2018 4:31 am

Hey guys,

Yes the source is from a video camera. If the DAC70 passes through a decimator MDHX, it gives the correct video settings and passing out from that HDMI, the signal is picked up by the ATEM switcher.

Xtreemtec

PostFri May 25, 2018 3:54 pm

To chip in.. I'm not sure what the problem is. But i guess there is some kind of mismatch between the Atem and DAC..

Try the same setup with the Decimator MD-HX and see if that conversion and that input does work.

Also try a different HDMI port, Cable, etc.. It could be a thing with the DAC 70.. I don't own them and only dealt twice with them in the field.. So i'm not completely sure about this device..

But when it comes to relibility.. Decimator does the trick every single time.. I still have to test the new UDC from BMD.. Mine is still in backorder.. So waiting waiting waiting. In the meanwhile the little Red boxes are always with me when i have a gig..
Daniel Wittenaar .:: Xtreemtec Media Productions ::. -= www.xtreemtec.nl =-
4K OBV Trailer, ATEM TVS HD, 4M/E Broadcast Studio 4K, Constelation 8K, Hyperdeck Studio 12G, Ursa Broadcast 4K, 4K fiber converters with Sony Control

Gabriel Ng

PostSun May 27, 2018 3:19 pm

Xtreemtec wrote:To chip in.. I'm not sure what the problem is. But i guess there is some kind of mismatch between the Atem and DAC..

Try the same setup with the Decimator MD-HX and see if that conversion and that input does work.

Also try a different HDMI port, Cable, etc.. It could be a thing with the DAC 70.. I don't own them and only dealt twice with them in the field.. So i'm not completely sure about this device..

But when it comes to relibility.. Decimator does the trick every single time.. I still have to test the new UDC from BMD.. Mine is still in backorder.. So waiting waiting waiting. In the meanwhile the little Red boxes are always with me when i have a gig..

It would appear so, mismatch between the two systems... this even has gotten the guys at DATAVIDEO stumped... I guess this would serve as a note to people the be aware of when running these two systems

Gabriel Ng

PostSun Jun 03, 2018 1:31 pm

Update:
DATA VIDEO US has passed on this issue to their team in the UK.

I'm wondering if anybody else in this forum has a DAC-70 that could help out and test their HDMI output with their system... I hope mine isn't an isolated issue

Andrew Martin

PostTue Jun 05, 2018 7:54 pm

We've a few in our kit and they have always passed what we needed.
We used to buy these regularly until we discovered the decimator MD-HX.
Now it's a given, but the 70's do still find use with both interlaced and progressive modes,
and as said they pass everything we've asked of them.

Return to Live Production