Visca control with Atem 1 M/E Advanced Panel

Questions about ATEM Switchers, Camera Converter and everything live!
  • Author

Duane Hett

Visca control with Atem 1 M/E Advanced Panel

PostThu May 24, 2018 12:41 am

Does anyone know if a Sony SRG-300SE can be controlled with the Advanced Panel camera control? I have an older Atem 1 and want to use the RS-422 connection.

Xtreemtec

Re: Visca control with Atem 1 M/E Advanced Panel

PostFri May 25, 2018 1:44 pm

Depends if the Atem model supports the Visca output on the DB9.. Not sure if the flat atems do support it..

Maybe a good idea to tell us what version you have..

Also the SRG300 is very limited in functions on the Visca port.. As it is a IP "security" camera as Sony clasifies it....

viewtopic.php?f=4&t=61265&p=384277#p349470
Daniel Wittenaar .:: Xtreemtec Media Productions ::. -= www.xtreemtec.nl =-
4K OBV Trailer, ATEM TVS HD, 4M/E Broadcast Studio 4K, Constelation 8K, Hyperdeck Studio 12G, Ursa Broadcast 4K, 4K fiber converters with Sony Control

Gary Adams

Blackmagic Design

PostFri May 25, 2018 4:11 pm

Hello Duane. Yes, the ATEM 1ME legacy model and Advanced Control panel will support VISCA control of this camera. All ATEMs with the RS-422 port on the back will support VISCA if it is connected to one of our Broadcast panels with joystick. The ATEM TVS HD/4K Pro will also support VISCA with the trackball and zoom control.

Regards, Gary
Gary Adams
Blackmagic Design

Gabriel Ng

PostMon May 28, 2018 2:36 pm

Xtreemtec wrote:Depends if the Atem model supports the Visca output on the DB9.. Not sure if the flat atems do support it..

Maybe a good idea to tell us what version you have..

Also the SRG300 is very limited in functions on the Visca port.. As it is a IP "security" camera as Sony clasifies it....

viewtopic.php?f=4&t=61265&p=384277#p349470

This topic caught my eye as I'm also thinking of implementing a PTZ system into my setup.
Because my setup requires the camera to be placed a great distance from the ATEM switcher, I'm wondering if there is any device that combines VISCA and AV over a single SDI cable and then splits it back to SDI and VISCA at the camera end.

If there is such a device, then running both VISCA and AV over a single fibre channel would be great.

MambaFiber.com

PostMon May 28, 2018 4:19 pm

if you run 4 core fiber to your camera (still only a single cable) there are many devices that will transport serial rs232/422/485 over fiber.

also, i believe the ATEM sends at least some VISCA over the SDI PGM/AUX outputs now with the camera control info. you'd just need to extract it somehow at the camera end. i think the micro studio cam can do this via it's aux connector.

or we have built a fiber box that handles up to 4 cameras and data. usually our cameras are in close proximity of each other (all 50-100 ft from fiber box). using 4 fiber cores, we use one core for 4x SDI mux to switcher, one core for 4x SDI mux to cameras (return video), one fiber core for a managed switch trunk (VLANs for IP control, and dante audio) and the 4th fiber core for serial data which can be daisy chained between camera heads. so one fiber cable to our box, 50 or 100ft cable assemblies to each camera position. really easy setup...and it's all off the shelf components.
Greg Bellotte - owner
MambaFiber.com
FaceBook.com/MambaFiber

Gabriel Ng

PostTue May 29, 2018 1:33 am

MambaFiber.com wrote:or we have built a fiber box that handles up to 4 cameras and data. usually our cameras are in close proximity of each other (all 50-100 ft from fiber box). using 4 fiber cores, we use one core for 4x SDI mux to switcher, one core for 4x SDI mux to cameras (return video), one fiber core for a managed switch trunk (VLANs for IP control, and dante audio) and the 4th fiber core for serial data which can be daisy chained between camera heads. so one fiber cable to our box, 50 or 100ft cable assemblies to each camera position. really easy setup...and it's all off the shelf components.

Now this is really something I'd like to look into :D :D

Could you share how your fibre box is built?
1 core can handle multiple SDI signals? I was under the impression that you can only run single SDI/core. Unless that's what BMD converters can only do.
Your setup is something that I'm having thoughts of but don't really know where to find any documentation online.

Thanks!

MambaFiber.com

PostTue May 29, 2018 3:36 am

to get more than one SDI on a fiber core you need a fiber mux system. These take multiple SDI inputs, combine them into one fiber core, and then split them apart into 4 SDI outputs at the other end. Studio Technologies, MuxLabs, Thor, and many others make such systems. They are not exactly cheap, but they make for a great and easy deployment box.

So the box I'm speaking of has two sets of mux, one set for 4 SDI in each direction, and of course the ethernet and serial devices as mentioned. We built this box for a particular client and I shipped it off before taking any pictures. We do have many other similar sets of gear we have made and use you can see on our FB page.
Greg Bellotte - owner
MambaFiber.com
FaceBook.com/MambaFiber

Xtreemtec

PostTue May 29, 2018 11:34 am

We are building a sort like that system at this moment now. Just a 2 core fiber. Converting the data from the SDI return into RS422 for Visca and Panasonic protocol.
With a option if you have Hybrid fiber to power the camera from that too.. ;)
Daniel Wittenaar .:: Xtreemtec Media Productions ::. -= www.xtreemtec.nl =-
4K OBV Trailer, ATEM TVS HD, 4M/E Broadcast Studio 4K, Constelation 8K, Hyperdeck Studio 12G, Ursa Broadcast 4K, 4K fiber converters with Sony Control

rogersuski

PostTue May 29, 2018 7:52 pm

Any chance that control of cameras using VISCA over IP will be supported?

Gabriel Ng

PostWed May 30, 2018 3:00 pm

Thanks guys for your inputs. Looks like there’s a lot of potential and this place is a great source of information.

Return to Live Production