Playing video files & TAGA sequences into ATEM TS

Questions about ATEM Switchers, Camera Converter and everything live!
  • Author

Dominic Irving

Playing video files & TAGA sequences into ATEM TS

PostTue Apr 23, 2013 8:36 pm

How can I play video files that are on my computer (MP4's,FLV's,MOVs etc) out to the TS? Will TS play TAGA sequences? The manual seems a bit Vague about it or is it just the 1ME that does.

Also how do I get the TS to overlay photoshop PSD files like logos with transparent background.
Lots of Blackmagic kit in a twin Dish mobile KA-Sat Van for Broadcast and Internet lives

Justin Strauber

Re: Playing video files & TAGA sequences into ATEM TS

PostTue Apr 23, 2013 9:26 pm

None of the ATEM series has video playout, you would need a separate playout system for that.

I don't know, personally, if the TVS has a frame buffer or not. The 1 and 2M/E can do limited TGA sequences.

You need to save the PSD with an alpha layer. Check this tutorial:

Dominic Irving

PostTue Apr 23, 2013 9:34 pm

I think the answer is probably to connect up a media player and play in that way ( will probably mean I don't need a DVD player ( see other post) but wonder if it will have the same issue as the DVD player does?
Lots of Blackmagic kit in a twin Dish mobile KA-Sat Van for Broadcast and Internet lives

Dominic Irving

PostTue Apr 23, 2013 10:19 pm

The manual seems to say that it will Handel TAGA sequences however if I try to import the sample ones it won't allow me too, only an individual frame. Is the correct?

Liam Kennedy

PostTue Apr 23, 2013 10:37 pm

The TVS definitely does not have a method to allow you to import video frames. That is something only the 1ME and 2ME can do. It's also only for a limited number frames - enough for just 3 seconds or so of playout. Just for a short video stinger / transition - but nothing else.

A media player - or PC with HDMI playout will work best. And... Just like everything else connected to an Input of any ATEM - it needs to be configured to present it's video in the exact same format as the ATEM is configured in. Remember - the ATEM's do not scale.
ATEM 1/ME, TVS, Hyperdeck Studio, Fujitsu Lifebook NH751 USB3

DidiKunz

PostWed Apr 24, 2013 8:56 pm

It's not exact: The TVS can "play" a single frame, it can be sendt from Photoshop and can have alpha (transparency) If you want more look at CasparCG http://www.casparcg.com

Dominic Irving

PostWed Apr 24, 2013 9:11 pm

didikunz I was really referring to TAGA sequences I.e. multiple TAGA files which the TS cannot play as a sequence only import individual files.

Having tested it I am now going a different route, I have plugged my Netgear EVA8000 up to one of the TS's HDMI ports, as the design is circa 2007-2008 there is no HDCP oddly though I can only see it on the TS when it is set to 1080P when the TS is set to 720 for it to see the other cameras. From the EVA8000 I can now play most file formats and motion overlays can be added by keying out the background.

Return to Live Production